WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Blogging? Tell me the truth.

shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
edited November 2007 in Website Critique
Hello, all! I am  going to launch my blog soon. Please take a look and provide feedback. Currently, the email I have listed doesn`t work. So, please leave your comments here or email me at shayla2004@gmail.com.
http://sweetpotatocomm.wordpress.com/
Shayla

Comments

• LizardWisdomLizardWisdom subscriber Posts: 0
    One suggestion we have is to use the non-WordPress hosted version of WordPress. In other words, use the version of WordPress at www.wordpress.org, not .com.
    This will allow you to have your own domain (like we do), but still use WordPress as your blogging platform. The URL you have is a subdomain of wordpress.com. You really want your own domain if you want to build your blog up to a large readership.
    It will only cost you a few dollars to purchase a domain name (us GoDaddy.com for inexpensive domain name registration). You can get a hosting account for a few bucks a month, so that you have your own domain name. A lot of hosting companies have WordPress installed already, so that you don`t have to do any installation yourself.
    That is our two-cents worth. We feel you would do yourself right by not using a free blogging platform. Host your own (using WordPress) so that you have a very professional image.
  • shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
    I planned on doing that. I just wanted to get this up for now. Okay, I know what a domain is. But what is hosting? How does that work?
    Thanks,
    Shayla
  • LizardWisdomLizardWisdom subscriber Posts: 0
    Hosting is a place where you keep the files of your blog. I.e., it is the home for your blog in cyberspace.
    You can get a hosting account where you get your domain name registered. GoDaddy offers hosting accounts. But you really want a web hosting company that has WordPress pre-installed, to save you some problems.
    The easiest thing to do is go to www.wordpress.org and click on "Find a Web Host" in the left-hand navigation menu. This will show you some companies that offer hosting with WordPress pre-installed. Or you can do a Google search for "Wordpress web hosting".
    Good luck!
  • shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
    Hosting is a place where you keep the files of your blog. I.e., it is the home for your blog in cyberspace.
    You can get a hosting account where you get your domain name registered. GoDaddy offers hosting accounts. But you really want a web hosting company that has WordPress pre-installed, to save you some problems.
    The easiest thing to do is go to www.wordpress.org and click on "Find a Web Host" in the left-hand navigation menu. This will show you some companies that offer hosting with WordPress pre-installed. Or you can do a Google search for "Wordpress web hosting".
    Good luck!

Thanks you so much!
    Shayla
  • sinksink subscriber Posts: 0
    Shayla,
    FYI, you can actually "mask" the http://whynotcommunications.wordpress.com/ domain with your own domain (say "http://whynotcommunications.com") as part of the Wordpress.com functionality. Not sure where or how, but know that you can.
    This is a CRUCIAL piece of your strategy. Seriously, it badly represents the size and significance of your biz to not have your own domain.
    Good luck!
    Jake
    ---
    Jake McKee
    Ant`s Eye View
    www.antseyeview.com
  • SalemHSalemH subscriber Posts: 4
    Nice thread,
    I have just started our own blog designmyidea.wordpress.com, and need to change that.
    ...I`m browsing about, seeing if anyone knows how to "switch" from the hosted @ wordpress, to domain only once the blog is already up.
    EDIT:http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Jalenac ... sting_Site
    Google is wonderful.DesignMyIdea6/17/2008 2:18 PM
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

You can get a hosting account where you get your domain name registered. GoDaddy offers hosting accounts. But you really want a web hosting company that has WordPress pre-installed, to save you some problems.GoDaddy has Wordpress available for their hosting accounts.  Still free.