WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Do I patent a product I didn`t invent, but my name is on?

jessieb578jessieb578 subscriber Posts: 6
edited May 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
 I found a product that I would like to market.  It`s not a widely sold thing, in fact I`ve never laid my eyes on it here in the US.  I do believe with the right name and marketing it could be a great seller. 

However, I did not invent this product. I did find a manufacturer in China.  How does this work? They will make the product with my name, logo, etc. Do I need to patent or trademark this??

Any suggestions? Thanks! I`m soooo very new to all of this.

Comments

• Options
    Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    Many products don`t have any known patent but hugely useful - the round wheel comes to mind   LED flash lights are other examples.  Once a component is sold, the price includes any IP related to it.  Paid for, done with.
    Thus you can buy a manufactured good, repackage it under your choice of brand, and good luck with your business of selling them.  You can but do not need to apply for a ** registered **trademark.  Trademarks are yours if they`re unique and you use it in commerce, by default.  Registered trademarks give you more right in case of infringement.
    Caveat:  I`m not an trademark attorney.  Attorneys never give free legal advices, as they consider they`re liable for their legal advices.
  • Options
    jessieb578jessieb578 subscriber Posts: 6
    Wow, that is excellent information to know. Thank you so much. I`m in such early stages right now that I`m trying to find all the information that I can get. 

What a wonderful site this is, that people like you with a wealth of knowledge can share! 

Thank you again!