WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do I build my idea?

kv2010kv2010 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Developing Your Invention
I have an idea for an invention.  Is there a service that builds a person`s ideas without stealing them?  I saw an Apprentice episode where the contestants would come up with ideas for a new invention for an office store.  They presented the ideas to a group of people and those people created what they wanted.  Is there a real service like that?  How much does it cost?

Comments

• Options
    kv2010kv2010 subscriber Posts: 1
    Can I basically present an idea to them verbally or do I need first an engineering drawing that has been patented??  Are they under contract to not steal people`s ideas? Where can I find these people??kv20102007-2-24 23:4:20
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Always come armed with at least a non-disclosure agreement.  I would suggest that your first step be to do a patent search on your own at www.uspto.gov</A> before contacting any of these companies.  Once you make sure you are not infringing on someone else`s IP you can go forward with feasability studies.  A lot of the beginning stages of taking an idea to market you can do on your own for little or no cost.  I personally like doing the steps myself instead of handing the idea (and much of the profits) over to a third party company.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Nothing will protect you like having a filing date for an application with the good ole USPTO.gov people.  A non-disclosure agreement is not a substitute for that.  Be sure to read and understand the MPEP at USPTO.gov - it`s a few thousand pages, but at least you will save the money of hiring an attorney.  Until you have an issued patent, or at least a filed application, you are at the mercy of others.
  • Options
    Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    Yes there`re a lot of crooks out there.  However they only "steal" successful products, "protected" by a patent application or not.Inventing is a tough business.  One had better have a good business plan first before spending money on patenting,  How big is the potential market for the new product? How much it costs to make?  How much people are willing to pay for it? etc.....These questions must be addressed first.  If there`s no business case for it, forget about it and spend your hard-earned money on Star**** coffee or other goodies.  Be business-like. Be realistic.