WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

MLM...Real Business or Sucker Business???

onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
edited December 2006 in Selecting a Business
I am wondering what the community`s perception of the model is not any particular company. My feeling the business is a business for the owner of the company not the individual reps that pay 350.00 to "start" their own business. If you are a rep in the field you have no control over major decisions made at the corp level which could drive your business. Things such as financial decisions which can keep the company in business or possibly shut them down, or the prices charged for products that is also usually managed by the company. There are too many similarities to having a job for me but I do like the idea of being able to leverage yourself. Look forward to future discussion.

Comments

• Innovator7Innovator7 subscriber Posts: 9
    onlineeater already posted: "Why do you hyperlink every company you are in this post? You have
    turned this thread into a MLM ads board. Those tend to driveaway real
    business owners who could contribute to the commmunity. If someone
    wanted to join a MLM there are plenty of forums on the net for that
    type of stuff. No offense but I think you are wasting your time here
    because most of the people are here for legimate businesses."That thread already provided plenty of facts and opinions on MLM.  Why ask the same question again?  Virtually all Amway direct distributors until diamond level lose money or make a pitance for their heroic efforts.  Search the net for ex-distributors of MLM and find out.  I believe people at SUN prefer running a real business.
    OK I googled and got another former MLM executive web page.Interesting story, similar to merchantof deception.comMy opinion on MLM is now definite.
  • onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
    onlineeater already posted: "Why do you hyperlink every company you are in this post? You have
    turned this thread into a MLM ads board. Those tend to driveaway real
    business owners who could contribute to the commmunity. If someone
    wanted to join a MLM there are plenty of forums on the net for that
    type of stuff. No offense but I think you are wasting your time here
    because most of the people are here for legimate businesses."That thread already provided plenty of facts and opinions on MLM.  Why ask the same question again?  I felt that was an approiate response for that particular post. But I wanted to start a discussion related to the forum`s overall perception of that model and not just on his company. To start it burried on the 11th page of another thread did not seem to be such a great idea.
    Only fools would get into a business where 99% fail and turn over is over 95%.That PhD did serious research, as well as a few others who have reached the top 1% but recognized that even then they failed financially, emotionally, and ethically, and had the insight and the courage to get out.  However, years of feverish work were lost to diamond-level uplines.  That`s priceless.
  • epetersepeters subscriber Posts: 1
    I have both a network marketing franchise and 3 regular online stores. I can`t really take a side here. They both work for me, but I concentrate more on my network marketing than my stores because it`s more profitable. Yes 95% of them fail. So very true. It`s a very risky thing to get in to. My network marketing franchise has funded proposals that support my primary business, which actually sells real things that people use every day. Hard to explain. Maybe I`m way off topic.
  • tycaltycal subscriber Posts: 2
    Well in an owner operator business you can have the best of both worlds in that you can have the say so of how the day to day operation of the business is run and also be out their getting your hands dirty like a regular enployee, all that has to be set up usually in the startup stages of a business. The problem is that most people who start a business know their craft such as a brick layer or construction worker, but is not good in rumming a business, different ball game, the best way to do this if you have an idea for a business is to hire people to run it for you get your core people lawyers, accountants, etc. first and you can still have it both ways.
  • epetersepeters subscriber Posts: 1
    Whoa! That stuffs all cornfusing1 I don`t have to worry about any of that! Well, I do need an accountant. That would make life a lot easier. I just sit around and wait for the money. Hey tycal- you`re in PIF4P too! Aren`t you in Direct matches as well? I think you`re one of my contacts there.