WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback on shopping cart programs?

truegeniustruegenius subscriber Posts: 3
Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on great and affordable shopping cart programs?  We are looking to switch out PayPal and move to something more secure and vendor friendly.
I researched tons, but my goodness.  Any and all feedback/suggestions on what is working for you would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tammy

Comments

• truegeniustruegenius subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi Kim,
    Thanks for the feedback.  I`ll be sure to check them out.
    Cheers,
    Tammy
    Thanks Craig.  I`ll do that.
    Cheers,
    Tammy
  • MySharonaMySharona subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Tammy,
    Any day now we will be adding the new Google Check-out. I don`t know if you are familiar with it, but it will be VERY customer friendly. Customers will be able to shop on your site, purchase something else on another site, and check-out just one time, through their Google Check Out account. There are other advantages to the Google check out that are worth looking into. Good Luck! 
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    True,I don`t know if you`re aware.. But after reading everyone`s posting.. I was amazed how no-one even told you about a shopping cart that really rocks and will leave the competitors behind. I hear everyone talking about; Prestocart, Google Checkout? Where was I when google decided to launch a shopping cart? Ok, here is the deal. All those shopping carts may be easy to set up and might work for now. But the truth of the fact is, whats the cost? is it proprietary software? If you decide to upgrade, is the database proprietary to the company? Is it easy to migrate (move) or easy to import / export? What is the structure of the database? What Type of DataBase, MS ACCESS(not even a database), MYSQL, MS SQL, PostGRE or FreeDB? Before you jump into a shopping cart make sure you address these issues first. Secondly, What happens if you do want to move elsewhere? Are you going to loose all your customer Database? What if you can`t export it? Then what? You loose your clients and your shopping cart? Your solution is go with an Open Source shopping cart, something that you can migrate and take with you with minimal effort to transfer it. My advise to you would be to go with Oscommerce, I find this free shopping cart to be perfect for every-online store, not to mention you can use paypal, and a regular Credit Card Gateway and offer your customers both. It has UPS, USPO, and FedEX real time modules that you can install and will give the customer the shipping price when its time to checkout. It comes in 3 launguages. English, spanish, and Dutch I believe. It comes with so many features I don`t know where to start. Oh and the redesign is very easy (your web designer can tweak a small file)You can change the store front to fit your company`s need. Adding products is as easy as uploading an image from your camera to your computer. I think before you decide to go with a cheesy shopping cart try OSCommerce first and if it doesn`t fit what you are looking for easily download an image of your database and you are on your way.. Did I mention you can download your inventory and customer`s information into an excel sheet?
    For what? For OSCommerce? Its an open source platform with various coders offereing contributions. To be honest, I find OSCommerce to be effective and easy to use.
    My web developer and I looked into Google Checkout.  It was actually our first choice.  After researching it further and with wanting specific capabilities on my site - not leading customers off my site to pay for purchase - along with the lack of some specific reporting capabilities that I was looking for, we decided it wasn`t the best choice for us.  It doesn`t allow for full control, but doing it Google`s way.  Same with PayPal.  That`s why I`m trying to find a different solution that allows me to control all aspects of contact with my customers at an affordable price and excellent security features.

• EliteVAsEliteVAs subscriber Posts: 0
    Wow! This is something I might need to look into. Thanks for all the advice on here thus far. I had a client who was already set up with 1ShoppingCart -- I personally didn`t think it was too user-friendly. But that is the extent of my dealings with a shopping cart. I would like to know more about the different options, though, as I might need to help a client set up and maintain it. So I will check into what you all have mentioned, but has anyone used 1ShoppingCart? And if so, what did you think?
  • gsvdbgsvdb subscriber Posts: 0
    For what? For OSCommerce? Its an open source platform with various coders offereing contributions. To be honest, I find OSCommerce to be effective and easy to use. I like osCommerce and supporting open source.  I use Shine live help and SugarCRM (both open source) for customer support on a couple pages.  It works well.
    Sugar CRM is definitely a good tool. As a matter a fact, I offer Sugar CRM as a third party installation on our servers. I find that Oscommerce (if configured, and edited can be a nice looking Shopping cart. I been working with OScommerce for years, and got involved in the Custom side of it. I love it....