WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Cultivating Associations

conservativejimconservativejim subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Marketing
My husband does alot of reseach on businesses. He is always looking for new ways to meet new people and to expand his business opportunities.
The other day when he was reading his WSJ he ran across an article on joining different associations. They recommend the Chamber of Commerce as a good source.
Meeting people and discussing your ideas is what it`s all about.Social entrepreneurs should meet the movers and shakers in their community.
A simple search at Google will direct you to the association in your field.
I am just trying to help.

Comments

• inactivemember2inactivemember2 subscriber Posts: 0
    I joined a local chamber last week and added 3 new clients in one day! My VA practice is filling up! This is a GREAT source of contacts - but some Chambers are more active than others. Do a thorough investigation first and attend a few events for free before you join.
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Could not agree more. If you`re not networking, you`re missing great opportunities to promote yourself, your business, and build relationships. Learn how to network properly - it`s not just about showing up. Have a plan for every event. Think about creating your own mastermind group. Know what it is that you want from the networking. Networking works!
    R@
  • ee99eeee99ee subscriber Posts: 8
    Could not agree more. If you`re not
    networking, you`re missing great opportunities to promote yourself, your
    business, and build relationships. Learn how to network properly - it`s
    not just about showing up. Have a plan for every event. Think about
    creating your own mastermind group. Know what it is that you want from
    the networking. Networking works!
    R@

keycon: Thanks for the information. I would really enjoy if you would go
    into more detail about how we can use networking and make a plan for
    each event. I`m thinking about joining the local chamber here. We are one
    of the fastest growing areas in the US, so there is a TON of activity in my
    area. How can I do more than just show up? I`m not the most outgoing
    person if I don`t know you, but once you get me started I don`t shut up.

Can you or anyone else give the community any tips on this?

Thanks,

Chris Miller
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Meeting people and discussing your ideas is
    what it`s all about. Social entrepreneurs should meet the movers and
    shakers in their community.In carrying your great idea to another level - Social entrepreneurs should BE the movers and
    shakers in their community.Another great aspect of such networking is to volunteer your services as a speaker for meetings/luncheons of the organizations.  Such groups are always looking for experts to make presentations and it gives you even greater exposure to a well-defined target market.  Hosting an "after hours" event for the organization also is a valuable marketing tool.  Such events are usually something like a business "open house" - with the organization providing the promotional support for the gathering.- J.
    LogoMotives2006-10-4 11:12:1
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Chris - I will try to make some time tonight or over the next few days to post more on some of my suggestions on how to network well. I`m slammed at the moment. Maybe a few of our experienced SuNers will join in, too, with their suggestions.
    R@
    PS - Jeff`s suggestions are great ones, too. Speaking gigs are numerous - just have to ask ... and of course, prepare. If you don`t feel comfortable speaking in front of groups, plenty of places to learn. Join a group like Toastmasters. Developing good public speaking skills will only enhance your career and success. keycon2006-10-4 11:42:37
  • ee99eeee99ee subscriber Posts: 8
    Thanks for the great information! I`m pretty good at public speaking if I`m
    well prepared, so I don`t think that`s a problem. Plus, I`m an expert in my
    field (IT) so I think many small businesses can use information I could give
    out (i.e. -- what is a server and why do or don`t they need one? what can a
    website do for their business? etc...). I hadn`t thought of volunteering for
    public speaking, that`s a very good idea!

Thanks,

Chris Miller