WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

My Domain Name + Great website + Great webhost = Happy me:-)

Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
Some time ago, I posted a question about whether or not to go with sitebuilder tools (like those offered through Go Daddy & Yahoo) or have a designer/program build my website.  After reading everything posted in this forum and other areas regarding webhosting, customer-focused support, and transferring domains to other areas for hosting, I`m suffering from information overloaded and a research headache (LOL). Please provide a clear (almost elementary-like) explanation/response/suggestion for my specific situation.  I have my domain name through Go Daddy, but their free website is very limiting.  Doesn`t allow you to manipulate the site without upgrading to a higher-priced package I want a very professional web presence (minus the template stuff, especially if my site will look like others)Affordable (webhost package + a site that I can either design myself or hire a decently priced person).  I am just starting out, but I want the site to look "established".  How do you decide on a webhost anyway?  It can not just be about who is the cheapest.  Right?Don`t need the bells and whistlesFreedom to update web content (especially if someone else designs the site)How do I transfer my domain to a webhost that`s affordable?So, in essence (and my apologies for rambling on), I am looking to have my domain name hosted by an affordable webhost and am also looking for affordable web design options without going anymore broke than need be and containing the professional image and freedom/control I need to update at anytime.  I would like to have the site up and ready soon.MANY, MANY thanks for your anticipated responses  I`m trying to learn this stuff while learning everything else about business ownership, etc.

Comments

• tannersoldittannersoldit subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello Cre8iveOne:
    I am a business development guy who has been forced to learn the value and headaches of websites the hard way.  They are the single most valuable tools for a small business.
    My first experience was in 2000.  Paid $1000 to get a custom-designed site.  It had to be maintained by the designer and my hosting was $35/mo.  Eventually, I had to take it down because I couldn`t keep it updated.  Too much of a hassle and costly.
    A year and a half later, while doing a "request for proposal" for a client, I came across a solution for him that was so compelling that I became a reseller.  That was in 2002.  The cost was $2700 to have it all done for me, graphics and population (content).  Hosting is still $49.95/mo and it hasn`t gone up once in 4 years.
    I still use that original site, update it when I want, I`ve updated the graphics ($450), has unlimited pages, and rich functionality modules.  I can add e-commerce at any time.
    The moral of the story is -- get a good value; something that will grow with your business, be dependable, flexible, and fairly priced with support.  You can go to my website for a tour.  All of the functions are listed, but not employed.  Let me know what you think.  Even if you don`t buy one from me, I  can help you make a decision you will be satisfied with.
    www.sellitforever.com</A>
    Ron
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Cre8iveone,Oh man.. am I so bummed out at you... Why didn`t you ask? you know I can help you. with web hosting, domain name transfer and Web Design. I am surprised to see this posting. I can have your domain name transfered in less than 5 days, and your web hosting can be up and running in no time. By the way I got two.. SPANKING NEW web Servers... That are waiting for new customers... Want to give it a try? I can give you web hosting free for a month no commitment... Let me know what you think.. as far as content management... I have the tools....
  • Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
    Ron and Ed (if I may call you Ed), thanks!  Ron, I will give your site a proper sit down visit and get back to you.Ed, you are too funny!  I received your response to the other post and email.  I will respond to your email shortly.My defense for not automatically thinking of you, specifically, as a possible solution for my situation is "information overload and research headache", per my 1st paragraph of this post  I had hoped someone(s) in the SuN community would have an answer at some point.  Turns out both you and Ron are those helpful souls.  You guys rock!
    Cre8iveOne:
    Take the time you need, but I am available today and tomorrow (briefly) to answer your questions, as I am on my way to the U.P. for 10 days.
    Please understand that my livelihood does not depend on selling websites.  I sell them because they work very well and their affordable for small business owners.  The technical support is offered through my developer, my support helps you get the most from the functionality.
    I`m certain Ed`s solutions are quite good and he would be very helpful as well. 
    Best regards,
    Ron

• TheMarketingStrategistTheMarketingStrategist subscriber Posts: 0
    To Cre8ive One, Ron, Ed & anybody else looking for web hosting and web site development, you might look into Voda Host (www.vodahost.com</A>) as a hosting provider - they offer a lot of value.  The web site builder Blue Voda is very easy to use.  They also offer a shopping cart portal or their new product SohoLaunch which integrates shopping cart into web site.
    If you`re a designer, you can use their program to develop and host web sites for your customers.  Check it out.
  • Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
    Thanks, Antonia!  Have/do you used this service?
    I`m using Blue Voda to rebuild my Marketing Strategist web site, and I will be using SohoLaunch to launch another web site for a product/member site I am currently working on.
    I`ve watched this company since its launch last year.  It has a proven track record with customer satisfaction, ease of use, it has steadily increased the base service package it offers in its hosting package to meet continuing demands of internet growth.
    Hey Antonia:
    I just saw your post and appreciate the heads up.  I`ll look it over.  One should always be prepared for the unexpected....opportunity.
    Ron
    Hi Ron -
    Look it over and let us know what you think.  There is validity in more than one opinion.  Would appreciate your thoughts.