WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help Needed Getting Survey Takers

tankeytankey subscriber Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in Marketing
Hi, I have attempted to get people to take my survey in my
community, and so far, have not gotten a single response.  The intention of the survey is to see who my
target market is.  But it seems like I
need a target market of who will just take the survey.  The public library will not post it on their
bulletin board, and the two main grocery store chains near me no longer have
bulletin/community boards for such postings. 
It is a class three misdemeanor to post such items on cars.  So far I dropped a few fliers in a
beauty/barber shop, where the owner relunctantly agreed to let me drop them
there (I have a relative who works in there), and I put put about half a dozen
in the doors of the people in my neighborhood. 
I asked a few  people, in passing,
at the local library  and in my
neighborhood, if they would be interested, and they all declined.  I did post it on Craig`s
list:http://norfolk.craigslist.org/eve/441077048.ht ml.

The flier has the
same info as on Craig`s list, but it is formatted differently, and the exciting
parts are big and bold, with the restrictions and privacy info in smaller
print.  The flier also has two color
graphics on it.  When I make the
necessary web hosting arrangements, I can show the flier to any interested
parties .

I have many more fliers to distribute, but decided not to
distribute them in case I am going about it all wrong.  I would hate to distribute all of them, and
not get a single response, if there is a better way to do this. 

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on how I can
get people to take my survey.

ThanksTanky

Comments

• conciergelady1conciergelady1 subscriber Posts: 2
    I have the same problem
    I am trying to contact the manager of the mini mall in my area who refuses to return my calls or emails for some reason.  I am thinking of joining my chamber of commerce and meeting local business people that way. Plus other networking groups as well.  Also thinking of taking part in local expos. Just came back from our Italian Columbus Day festival at the jersey shore....so many people there...in fact thats how to meet the locals in my area.. Our Halloween Parade brings in about 10,000 people. They start setting up their chairs the night before. Thats my 2 cents for now.
  • tankeytankey subscriber Posts: 11
    Thanks.  I may try the Dept of Commerce too.  Just trying to try all other approaches before I start spending the "big bucks".
  • BananabeanBananabean subscriber Posts: 2
    Tanky,
    First time on StartupNation.  So excited to be here.  Anyway...I digress. 
    Why don`t you offer some freebies to anyone who wants to take one.  Say..if they complete the survey, offer a Dunkin`Donuts coffee - or bagel or something small, or they can be placed in line for a drawing for jewelry/handbag/prize of your choice.

Hi Bananabean,That is a good idea!  I can get tons of small gift certificates!  Thanks for the info!
  • DeanJDeanJ subscriber Posts: 0
    have you looked at online surveys?  companies like zoomerang can guarentee you a certain number of responses.  Last time I checked, you can get 100 responses for $750.  (you have to ask, their advertised amounts are more).  This might be cheaper and faster than coupons and paper surveys.
    I called the mall and spoke to the management office there. First I was told no you cant take a survey at the mall. Then she says hold on, comes back to the phone and told me for $500 plus proof of insurance I could stand outside and hand out the survey. I turned it down. 
    I will have to find a less expensive way of getting the word out. So I  decided to go to the local Meetup next week and meet  lots of other entrepreneurs. Plus give my 3 minute presentation and even get a cup of coffee and pastry. The $5.00 price tag sounds really good to me.  I will be also be joining some industry networking groups as well as business ones too. 
    DeanJ,I am using surveymonkey.com right now, inviting people to take the survey.  They just need to send me an email and I will send it to them.  Zoomerang is down right now for maintenence.  I was going to check out some of their prices, even though I probably am not budgeted for them at this point.  Thanks.  It is good to have the name of another potential resources.
    Hi Adam,Yea, right now, I am trying to target people locally, then expand out.  The type of business I am developing depends initially, on the local area.
    Conciergelady1,That meet up sounds like a good idea.  I`ve been checking them out in this area too.  Just need to get some more things under my belt before meeting with them.  I hear you on that finding less expensive ways to get the word out.  Isn`t it amazing...things you see people doing to promote something (handing out fliers, putting fliers on cars, posting signs at intersections) are usually misdemeanors or are very expensive if you go through the proper channels, formalities,  and procedures!  Good luck at your meet up , and let me know how it goes!
    Tankey, just have to work on my 3 minute presentation first which isnt hard to do. I know it inside out after all this time. Finally got in touch with the brother in law of the manager at the mini  mall...there are no tables to rent, there is a waiting list so I will put my name down. I am also going to advertise inside the mall which is just starting up now...After that is taken care of I am going to start working on my next target market.  Will update you on the Meetup.
    conciergelady1 (jo)
    Hi conciergelady1,Good luck with all of that.  I can`t wait to hear how the meet up goes.  Just a thought...have you read the E Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber?  I am currently listening to it (checked it out on cd), and it has some pretty interesting things, especially in the marketing chapters.  It may help some.  I have to use those techniques!Tankey
    Tankey, I just read some of the reviews on Amazon about E Myth. I didnt hear of this book before. I have other books that I havent had a chance to read yet. There is just so much information out there that its hard to go through it all and still have time left over for your business. I guess its a catch 22  
    jo
    jo,You could not be more right about going through all the info and not having enough time for your business.  And much of  the info hasme running around in circles!  I`d start working on one approach, then I`d get info on trying another approach, then another, and another.  In the end, I had nothing done because it takes time to key up those approaches.  So I decided to go with an approach and just do it, even though if I got no results.  At least I could record that one approach as tried, and analyze it to see what to change, and modify the approach, or move on to another one.  The E Myth speaks of doing this.  Anyway, as I mentioned, I `d listen to the book (no time to sit down and read it) on my way to and from my day job.  I`d take a few minutes to jot down some key things in a notebook, after I parked my car.  The info in his book does not really have me switching gears, but has me focusing.  When I first started listening to it, I thought it was going to be a bunch of bs and pie in the sky stuff.  But I kept listening, and around disk 3, I started to really get some good info!  Just a suggestion, you see if your local library has it on CD, or if you want, buy it outright from from anyone who sells it in CD form.  Tankey
    Hi Tankey
    I think that makes sense. Just do it...and see what happens. I feel sometimes I am observing too much and not doing. I have been on the computer all morning getting together my notes to be ready for this wed`s expo at the mini mall. I am reserving tomorrow for my Staples run to get the rest of my stuff that I need. Good thing I anticipated this before hand and have much of my stuff already bought. I just have to put it all together now to make a nice table presentation. I have to print up some more of my flyers (brochures not done yet). I dont want to have prof made until I am sure of the content. When I used to commute I would  rent audio cds from the library until I went through them all. Then I stopped going to the library. These days I like to listen to Steven Covey and Anthony Robbins when I am on the computer. Little by little things are getting done but  not as fast as I would like. Right now I am focusing on marketing and networking. I just signed on for a speech consultation with Felicia Slattery from Sun and I am looking forward to that. I know I will have to talk in front of people if I want to get my name out there. I did speak twice but only for a few minutes  but kinda looking forward to the challenge.  Well back to my work now  
  • AnnefloAnneflo subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi, Tankey!
    First of all, I think that Adam Snow`s questions above are good.  You need to ask yourself some simple questions relating to your business idea: Who - specifically - is going to want to use this product/service?  Where are those customers located?  Why will they want your product/service?  There are also some great articles on About.com with basics about what a "target market" is.
    Second, I can highly recommend Surveymonkey.com when you`re ready to do a survey.  They allow you to use their services on a monthly basis, and it`s not very expensive.  I used them last year: it`s very easy to set up the survey and the results come in a report that is very easy to understand.  Beware, however!  Designing survey questions is an art in itself, so I suggest you check out eHow.com for some basics.  From there do more research on the internet for tips and suggestions on how to create a good survey. 
    You need to have a very clear idea of what you need to find out on the survey, and you need to have very clear questions to get your answers.  Good Luck!