WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sponsorship

letoastaireletoastaire subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in Marketing
Hello all,
I am a college student in the Northeast about to go on a 6 month internship.  The main focus of my internship plan is experience, regardless of major.  I can obviously choose to work in my field, or I can choose something outside my field.
To get to the point, I want to go on a trans-continental tour of our nation.  My trip partner and I want to do some sort of awareness project while riding motorcycles from the east coast to the west coast, but our major obstacles are money and time.  We want to raise money for our trip but we are without sponsor, and our trip would have to be over the late summer months (August or so). 
If anyone has any sort of advice they can offer to us, we would be very grateful.  Thank you very much.

Comments

• EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
    I had a friend once that wanted to travel around the country and go to amusement parks but couldn`t afford it. He and his friends contacted a bunch of magazines and offered to write reviews of the various amusement parks, if the magazine would sponsor part of their trip and the ticket into the park. For some of the larger magazines, a couple hundred bucks in gas and tickets is worth it for a decent freelance piece of writing. So that could be an option. Also if you`re doing an awareness project...what are you aware of? Are you putting together a documentary of a certain social issue in america? What are you trying to show? There are a lot of non-profits out there that are willing to sponsor people building awareness for their issues.  they may not be able to give much but if you get enough together, you could do fine. The key is to give them some product at the end to show you didn`t just waste their money. They need something tangible like a video or article or website etc. to make it worth their while and you should tell them how it benefits them to give you money.
  • Wirehead321Wirehead321 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    What you have is a very good idea. I would try sponsorship.com It`s a website that I used for a former client of mine who wanted major sponsors for his seminars. I found out that this same company sponsored smaller clients like schools, and indivuals. In fact if you go to the site there is a section where you can post and event you like sponsored every day new sponsor look at that list. You have a good idea post it there. You can also get help from enterpreunerweek.com they have an event for young enterpreuners like yourself. Maybe you can pick up a sponsor there. Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Howard Lee
    CIO
    Wirehead Technology