WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hello from Georgia

oneof15oneof15 subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2007 in New Member Welcome
Hi, This is Becky and I have to tell you all that my dream has finally came true.  I have been wanting to own a speciality gift shop for the past 15 years and I have finally accomplished that.  I love my shop! It is called "The Gifted Cottage".  I am renting a little home built in 1933 with the original hardwood floors, (although a little uneven, but very quaint), windows and wooden panel and ceilings. It has 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bath, family room with old fireplace and a sun parlor.  I painted each room a different color to match my gift wrap and shopping bags whcih are light pink, aqua, brown, & lime green.  I painted my stucco wall flower place a glistening brown finish with a light pink mantal.  After finishing the painting, everything else just fell into place beautifully.  I offer gourmet food & spa gift baskets, homedecor, jewelry, candies, handbags, handmade bath & body products, baby & bridal gifts, etc.  I am so excited about all of this that I cannot wait to go back the next day.  My only problem, is more financing and I am worried that I may not find it.  I pray every day for that not to happen to me.   I will soon be doing a website.  I have spent a great deal on advertising.  It is paying off.  I just opened my shop in May 2007.  So far I cannot complain and I love my customers, everyone has just been so nice and helpful and I am so grateful for everyone.This sure has been a dream come true for me.   

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi Becky from Georgia!!
    That is a dream come true. I always admired women who owned those beautiful shops I find on trips. Congrats on your success! What kind of funding are you looking for? What would you use it for? Are you building your own website. Whatever you need, you will find help here!! Just reach out and let everyone know what you may need help with.

Erin
  • ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    Welcome Becky! It sounds like you have a really cool shop. You should post some pictures of the store in your profile! I love older homes that folks turn into businesses. It just looks so neat, and people let their imaginations run wild with decorating them. It`s one of my favorite kinds of places to shop.Best of luck with your continued success, and looking forward to seeing you around the forum!
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Welcome Becky!  Congratulation for "livin the dream!"  I can`t wait to see your website, please let us know when it`s up and running!  I just LOVE to shop!!
  • oneof15oneof15 subscriber Posts: 1
    I really enjoyed everyone`s welcome and feeling my excitement about  my new shop.  I will be posting some pictures soon.  Would love for you all to see them.  I know I have to walk before I run and it has only been since May that I opened my shop.  I am really excited about getting ready for Christmas and the great products I have.  Every day there is a new type of excitement or a new found product that I find to sell.  I am enjoying it all very well and wish that everyone would be able to enjoy their dreams and goals as much as I am.  Thanks to you all and I am looking forward to a great online relationship with each one of you.  I am so greatful that I found this site. 
    Becky

• tawtamtawtam subscriber Posts: 0
    Welcom Becky. You heart is pounding so happily. I believe in what CraigL is saying. Sometimes we seem to overwhelm ourselves too much, because we are so happy about our dreams coming true.
    When you ready for that next step take a look at the sites: www.irs.gov</A>
    www.score.gov</A>
    www.sba.com</A>
    May these can be of help. But take it slow and relax.  It all sound soooooooo beautiful. I love going shopping to places like that when I`m out of town. Keep up the good work.
    Jacquelynn

• daisylanedaisylane subscriber Posts: 1
    hi and welcome - where in GA are you? My family is in GA so maybe I can send them your way. Have you thought about consigning some of your inventory instead of paying up front? This is a way to have inventory but not lay out the money ahead of time. Let me know when you get a website and if you like my products maybe we can exchange links.
    Nanci
    www.daisylanedesigns.net</A>

• tawtamtawtam subscriber Posts: 0
    I Just might take a look at doing that consigning some of it. Right now I`m in the beginning stage of learning all I can learn. I don`t want no blind spots. I`m kinda of greedy right now. I want to do the salon and clothing store and maybe connect the two. The salon can almost run off of its own. Not doing a website no time soon. But thinking thru all things. Kinda of want a brick and motar. Thinking about buying into my retirement so I can leave early. I`m 41 and have 10 more years before I retire. What part of Georgia. I live in North Augusta. I want items from all over. Everywhere.
    Jacquelynn