WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing

ernesternest subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2007 in Marketing

ernest12/17/2007 11:31 PM

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Hello Ernest:

Writing articles has been very effective and profitable for me, and they stay on the search engines forever!

Dale King
    DKing11/27/2007 4:35 PM
  • ernesternest subscriber Posts: 1
    o
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Craig, I think you might have misunderstood Ernest`s response. I don`t think he was referring to my suggestion about writing articles when he said he had disappointing results. I think he was responding to Steve`s suggestion about attending tradeshows and handing out business cards. At least, that`s the way I interpreted his response. But I could be wrong.

Dale King
    DKing11/28/2007 7:59 AM
    ernest12/17/2007 11:32 PM
  • VolusionVolusion subscriber Posts: 0
    I wouldn`t ask for recommendations from celebs, but I would appeal to high end clients by 1.) creating a site that looks high end, and hiring a professional to build it, 2.) filling that site chock full of keywords specific to high end custom design and wood carving keywords for SEO, and 3.) using testimonials and examples of your work to show people what you are capable of doing.  Word of mouth is huge, and do not be afraid to ask for referrals.  If you do good work, people should be happy to do it.  It`s also helpful to post in forums and create a blog about your work.
    It really helps these days to let your customers do the talking for you.  If you feature an article about your work, feature it from the customer`s perspective.  Customers do not identify with you, they identify with other customers.  If you do good work, your customers will be glad to help out.
    Regards,
    Michelle Greer
    http://www.volusion.com
    ernest12/17/2007 11:32 PM
    ernest12/17/2007 11:33 PM

ernest12/17/2007 11:34 PM
    ernest12/17/2007 11:34 PM
  • EdLEdL subscriber Posts: 3
    Ernest,

What is your secret? I would love to write articles about our ezREB software  and have it appear in 15 newspapers. How do you do it?
  • ladderlessladderless subscriber Posts: 3
    What about on-line catalog sites?  We tried them with limited success, but for the very reasons you might strike gold... These sites are VERY aesthetic based (whereas our products are more function based).

They let you list your services with detailed photos.  They all send out weekly email "What`s new" broadcasts to specifiers, and usually generate decent interest.

Here`s one I did on Design Journal Magazine:  http://tinyurl.com/2kbkyv

We have also worked with Trade Only Design Library (www.todl.com).  There are lots of them out there.  You would create your own section, and post lots of photos of the work you`ve done.  They actually put together most of the site, with you supplying the photos and text.
  • ladderlessladderless subscriber Posts: 3
    OK... I`m going to go out on a limb here and say there is nothing at all wrong with your web site.  I wouldn`t spend a dime changing it right now.  You clearly do great work, and I`m not sure anyone`s expecting a true craftsman to have a very slick site.

If I had to guess, word of mouth gets you the highest hit rate...  And you`re looking to expand this to a more scale-able method of growing sales?

Trade shows are tough, and unless you are exhibiting at an interiors show, I wouldn`t waste my time...  The exhibitors are not your customers, the attendees are, and unless you are exhibiting, you aren`t going to be effective reaching your customers.

This brings up some questions, which would be helpful to know in order to give you some good suggestions:

1- Who decides to buy your products?
    2- How is this decision made (Who else is involved)?
    3- When a buying decision is made, what happens next?
    4- What is the buying process (Does the end user cut you a check directly)?

Answers to these would help...

ladderless12/4/2007 1:32 PM
  • wifistudioswifistudios subscriber Posts: 1

Hi Ernest,

I had an unproductive experience with Homestead.com to say the least; they were an excellent solution in the late 90`s and early part of this century, but unfortunately other

technologies have surpassed their framework.

I received an email from a client referring to HomeStead, please read below:

"I found out about 

Site Web Builder

while surfing for website hosting groups. I am with Homestead currently, and am paying quite a large amount of money per month, yet feel quite limited in what I can do.  I can only use their sitebuilder lite program with a mac, which doesn`t allow me the ability to place  things I would like, unless I worked from another computer.  I know very little about web page building, so i do need a site builder of sorts to assist.  I am good with graphics and design, uploading, etc.  Thank you again." -Veronica

SiteWebBuilder.com
     is the easiest site building technology I ever used with shopping cart; others even told me that it is easier than MySpace or Joomla. The secret is to go with a company that can build you a customized professional ecommerce website that you can go back later and edit with ease with no coding experience needed. The service is only $399 and it is best to have a few site examples in mind to get the results you are looking for.

If you have any questions please contact me and will get back to you quickly.

All the best to you!
    ernest12/17/2007 11:47 PM