WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Record Label

pynnejpynnej subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Thought Leadership
One day i really hope to have my own record label, With a few bands signed. The only problem is i have no idea where to begin, and not much to start with. Any advice? Even a shove in the right direction would be helpful.

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Record Labels, Record Labels,I guess nothing has changed!..pynnej, How much do you know about music? Are you part of the music scene? or is this something that you thought of while watching MTV? The truth of the fact is that, owning a record label is very tedious and complex if you never been exposed to the recording studio, production, and recruiting scene. There are various factors, that you need to have experience in:

Copyrighting
    Production
    Marketing
    Mixing
    ASCAP
    If you can relate to any of the above, then you are in good shape, if you can`t I would suggest hanging around recording studios. At one point in my life I was a producer, and produced my own beats and tracks. One of the categories that most record labels can`t be successful is the price of the equipment. you Need, Vocal Booths, MIDI Sequencers, Keyboards, Mixing Consoles, A-DAT`s, Multi-channel recorders, Quality Microphones (starting price is $1,245) for a good mic, Then if you are into electronica you need: Samplers, Beat Machines, Harmonizers, Digital Mixing Consoles, and the software!! You have Cubase VST, Cakewalk- Sonar, or Pro-tools for MAC, Pro-tools can run for about 5K for the software, not including the Console which is about 7K. Think about it before you decide to go into it..If you ever want to buy gear, I can walk you through...
  • inkwireinkwire subscriber Posts: 3
    A good way to start off would be with a netlabel (ie free mp3 downloads) involving Creative Commons licenses.  Find your niche and make the leap to a `real` label when your netlabel has a following.Of course, the industry has been turned upside down over the past few years, so pay attention to what`s going on.
  • swervenorthwestswervenorthwest subscriber Posts: 0
    i run 2 record labels, and just helped a friend start a 3rd.
    the internet has spawned something called the `netlabel` which can operate for little or no overhead, cdr buisness model until you can get going.
    netlabels.org
    book: starting a record label by dd schwartz