WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Negatives to Working from Home

dietmarjilldietmarjill subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in Home-Based Businesses
I absolutely love working from home, but I have a problem in that home for me is Germany, and when friends come to visit, they don`t understand I can`t spend my whole time sightseeing with them.  

Comments

• dsprindledsprindle subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Jill,
    We live in a similar area... Jackson Hole, WY home of Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks. I guess the difference for us is that our business gives us the time to play host. We love reliving our first experiences through the eyes of others. And there are still things we haven`t done yet that our friends that visit become the inspiration for.But we have found that it is good to mix it up. People like to go off on their own as much as be with us. For example, we`ll often send people to Yellowstone Park on their own. Then we`ll take time off to do the things that only locals have the inside scoop on.Can you set aside certain days where you send your friends off on their own and others when you can be with them?When we visited my sister in Holland, she sent us to Amsterdam via train. We loved being tourists seeing the sights. But then she took us through Leiden and did things with us we never would have thought of.On our way from The Netherlands to Munich we were on our own as well. We loved exploring Heidelberg and other places along the way. But when we got to Munich it was great to hook up with others who knew the area who did things with us that we would not have done on our own.
  • dietmarjilldietmarjill subscriber Posts: 3
    Usually what we do when people visit is put them on trains with explicit directions of what to do when they get wherever they`re going.  I even print off a selection of restaurant menus so they can choose a restaurant before they reach their destination!
    We also spend as much time with guests as possible, and we love to travel as much as they do!  And of all things, just this past weekend in Austria (my husband is Austrian and we usually spend 1 weekend a month with his family so our son can play with his grandparents & cousins), we were talking about visiting Yellowstone national park!
    Jill,
    Sounds like you have similar ways to host visitors. Trains are great in Europe. Unfortunately they have removed most of the tracks around here, so cars are the only option. Let us know when you plan to be in our area! We`d love to let you in on some of our local secrets! In fact, we just started a web site for people wanting to find out more about our area. There`s not much there yet (only a few pages), but it`s a start:http://www.teton-valley-news.com (more to come later)We have a friend lives here from the Innsbruck area... great skier still going strong at 70. While we were visiting we found a great place to eat in Breitenwang/Tirol called the Ernberg. You`ll have to check it out. It`s where we discovered Mohrenbrau.dsprindle7/20/2009 2:07 PM
  • dietmarjilldietmarjill subscriber Posts: 3
    Small world!  My brother-in-law studied in Innsbruck, so I visited there several times, and his wife is from South Tirol (Italy)!  We`re in Stuttgart at the moment, but we lived 4 years up in Frankfurt in the `90s!
    We have a saying in our business... you are never more than four people removed from anyone on the planet!
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    can't agree more. there is a time when you work and a time when you play . . .