WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Mobile Barbering

DoDusDoDus subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Selecting a Business
Hi, I have been cutting hair for about 14yrs. off and on.  Now I have a strong desire to consider my talent as a profession.  I am undecided when I get my liceases if I am going to do my business in a shop or mobile?  I don`t know if it is best to be sitting around or traveling, please reply and let me know what you think??

Comments

• LSnyderLSnyder subscriber Posts: 0
    I think a mobil barber would be great.  Did you ever think about catering to the elderly or those that are confined to their homes?  There are very few haircutters out there that are willing to make house calls and I`m sure a very high demand for them.
  • menexismenexis subscriber Posts: 1
    Listen man, I would do both. You need a place where people an drop in and you cut their hair if you can afford a small place, you should consider doing it.
    The mobile part you can always do when the client cannot come to the shop. Ever since they came out with the clippers and hair cutting tools made for the house, it really tool alot of business from barber shops. Sort of like what the internet did to big retail but on a smaller scale.
    I`m not sure how big of a market it is going to people house to cut their hair. But you know the business and I`m sure you know more than me.
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    what a fantastic idea. maybe you can get a van, upfit it and have your shop inside the van itself. ride in, get it cut AND get out. anytime...anywhere...
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I like menexis` idea of doing both. You shouldn`t be the ONLY one cutting hair, so by hiring a staff you can both have a fixed location, and a mobile location. You`ll be able to cater to a variety of customers with different needs this way without being stretched too thin.
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I doubt this idea is going to take off. Not many people will go visit a barber just via phone ads. It's more of a word-of-mouth business that needs a fair bit of marketing and investment in a shop front.