WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Biz Idea

JDRatesJDRates subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Selecting a Business
Hey all,

A couple of colleagues and I were thinking about starting an automated greeting cards company and I wanted to get your opinion on what everyone thinks of the idea.

Here is the basic concept of the business:

-We would market it to small businesses and professionals
-One of the guys who is a programmer would create a contact management system where our clients would enter their clients information and decide what types of cards to send
-We would automatically send out their cards with their signatures on them for the specific events that they specify
-The cards would be purchased through an overseas manufactures

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JD

Comments

• Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    can 123greetings, or any one of the card companies online do the exact thing where a user can pre program dates/specifications?
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback,

123greetings seems to be more of an e-card services.  There seems to be a numbers of those types of companies out there.  Other than Send Out Cards, I didn`t find very many companies that actually stuff and send out physical cards.  They would most likely be our direct competition. 

We would probably purchase the cards overseas to keep costs lower, unless someone knows of a good manufacter in the states.
  • Options
    menexismenexis subscriber Posts: 1
    With online greeting cards, it best to offer it free to your users and make money by advertising.
    I think it`s really hard to make money with the greeting cards business off line.

If someone purchase from you and it takes 2 weeks for them to get the cards because you are shipping from overseas, they probably will not come back.
    But maybe you mean you will already have purchase the greeting cards from overseas and have a stock of them in the US, that I can see working out better
  • Options
    Yes, we would have the supply on hand.

JDRates3/11/2009 9:06 AM