WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Accepting Payments

yassinatoryassinator subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2009 in Home-Based Businesses
Me: Sole Proprietor
Them: Corporation
If I have them write the check to me, is that acceptable?  What forms or documentation do I need to provide them for their taxes or ...?
Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    sounds like they are hiring you for some work.  they should be providing you with docs to fill out. you will get a 1099 at year end for tax reporting / filing purposes. get the check under your company`s name, not yours.  keep it separate, clean..
  • Options
    yassinatoryassinator subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response.  So really I have nothing I need to provide them, just some forms they should have for me to fill out.  Gotcha.
    I have not filed my Fic Name statement yet, so was going to just have them write me the check to me now, figuring since I am a Sole Prop it should not matter.
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    i would form a company (maybe an LLC) to keep your personal assets safe in case of any liability claims/suits.  check with a qualified CPA, attorney regarding this....