WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Do WebSites have copy rights for their content?

Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
Hi All,

I have been thinking about a web site that would be for web user entertainment (not adult entertainment).  When I first had the idea there were no sites of its kind.  Now there are a few.  I was disappointed at first until I realized that my ideas are better.

Are these other web sites protected by a copy right or can I go forward and have my site created and basically just compete in the same area of interest?

Comments

• Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    All creative works are copyrighted, but you cannot copyright a process.  That`s for patents.  As long as you don`t copy their content you should be OK with a similar site.
  • Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Steve is correct.  The text, content, and "look and feel" of a website is subject to copyright protection.  The ideas or concepts behind it is not.  But beware, even if you don`t do an exact copy of a website, "derivative works" of the content are also protected by copyright. 
    Some good information on derivative works at http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf.
  • Options
    Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thank you for your responses.  There is still much to plan to ensure the site is creative enough to contribute something to its viewers.  There is alway so much to do, yet so little time.  I am working on a business plan for another venture and am trying to prioritize.  I look forward to reading the vast information that is here at SuN. 

Thanks again
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    wouldn`t you want to be different? both in appearance and content? that said, quality content should be your main objective.  if you are leveraging any kind of written content from another site, make sure you run it through a service like copyscape to ensure you are not violating copyrights. similarly you can use such service to ensure others are not stealing your work.  if you publish it first online it is your work. internet copy by its nature is copyright protected.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    if the creative expression is not registered, it is next to worthless in practice - to the extent that worth is measured by the ability to exclude unauthorized copies.

The "look and feel" protection of copyright is questionable - that is typically the language of trademark protection.