WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Should I try to license?

Stryfe01Stryfe01 subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hi guys. I was all worked up about a grea idea that I have. No one else is currently capturing this market, but I fear that they will soon. I contacted a patent attorney and i`m going to meet with him soon. But I did my own research and found several patents that are similar to my idea. In effect doing the same things. I`m not looking for concrete direction, but what might be a good step now?

Is it possible to try and license one of these patents? Would you guys still go ahead and try to patent your idea ayway? I noticed that the patens have been dormant for almost eight years. There is amarket out there, but this invention has not been successfully brought to market.

Again I`m just looking for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hello Stryfe01!
    You will know so much more once you talk with your patent attorney.  I`m no expert, but first thing I would do with your attorney is make sure you are not infringing on the ones already out there, then if you could, get a provisional based on your product, then go to town!  Do you want to go the manufacturing or licensing route to market?
  • Options
    Stryfe01Stryfe01 subscriber Posts: 1
    I would rather go the manufacturing route. I honestly believe that there is a solid, albeit niche, market for this product. Especially among students. I think that is exactly what I plan to do. My only thing is that I just don`t have the amount that`s needed to file if my idea does not infringe. But i`ll take this one step at a time.