WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Manufacturing questions...Help!

storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
I am in the process of developing a craft kit using my template designs with a collection of various craft tools and project ideas. I had originally planned to outsource the manufacturing overseas but it seems that there may be a problem exporting paint into the US...looking into this.
I would love to keep the manufacturing here in the US for various reasons. I have been looking into several sources for the different components of the kit. My thought is to purchase in bulk from different companies and handle the assembly and fullfillment end of it.
Now, my question is pretty basic - is this a dumb idea? I know I will be charged shipping on all items in the kit which will add to the costs, but the container freight shipping cost and customs fees on overseas cargo can certainly be pricey. I need help weighing the pros and cons of doing business this way. I`m looking for more opinions, ideas and suggestions!!
Thanks!
Melissa

Comments

• storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Thank you Jeff!
    It`s funny because I`ve been trying to come up with the most cost-effective way to do this all day and was actually thinking along the same lines - sourcing some of the product from overseas, and some here. I don`t think that will be a problem. We will most likely be starting with very small quantities so I`m sure they will be shipped air freight.
    I`ve been researching manufacturing sources for paints, here in the US. I have no idea what it would cost to have my own line of paints formulated and manufactured...anyone with experience in this area?
    However, another alternative that I am looking into, is forming a relationship with an existing company that already manufactures an excellent product, and has an exceptional reputation. I`m thinking this might be my best bet since I don`t really wish to be in the paint manufacturing business - not yet at least! I really want to focus on my designs and provide excellent tools/products along with them. I have contacted one company who seems to be very interested so we`ll see.
    Anyway, I guess I will just have get costs from US sources and overseas, compare and go from there.

Melissa

• storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestion Jeff! Actually, she manuafactures house paint. I`m looking for a craft/hobby paint manufacturer.
    Anyway, thanks for being so helpful. I`ll keep plugging away at this and figure something out!
    Melissa

• nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Good morning Storybook,
    Have you though of looking south of the boarder for your manufacturing needs.  You can avoid many of the cost you just mention and Mexico is closer than Asia.  My first preference though is to look here in the USA.
  • startupmanstartupman subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Storybook,

I`ve always liked getting the product right before I manufacture
    overseas.  If a product is going through changes, it becomes very
    hard to manage.  Mexico is a nice alternative to SE Asia and it`s
    relatively close.  Check out my website,
    www.startup-business-info.com and take a look at my outsourcing
    section.  It may provide some useful info to you.
  • mikechongmikechong subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi storybookstudioYou`re in luck i`m from SE Asia! Well, Malaysia to be more exact.Exporting paint from Malaysia to the US - i haven`t done that before. But I can tell you that the cost of sending a parcel weighing below 250 grammes to the US costs about 6 USD. That is air parcel.For surface parcel ( means shipping by sea, which takes longer), cost of a parcel below 1 kilogramme is about 4.00 USD.Maximum weight is 20 kg.
  • MPdesignMPdesign subscriber Posts: 0
    Overseas or not... Hmmm...

The only true answer is to say check both. If you do not, you may be very sad in the end.

Overseas manufacturing can be so cheap that it will astound you. My rule of thumb is that it will cost as much to ship it here per item - as the cost of the item.

You can use UPS to handle all of the customs, etc for you on small faster shipped parcels - to get samples and such.

You may also think about having the overseas make and ship all the light items and the box. Once here, you assemble and add the heavy items - such as paint. Maybe even have them make the paint labels for you. Then *I believe* that you can be shown as assembled in the US from overseas and US parts*. You will have to check on the exact wording.

The conclusion is:

Check pricing for both, then make an *informed* decision yourself.

Cheers, /pages/community/smileys/smiley2.gif

Jody Massey

www.CarseatCap.com

MPdesign@CarSeatCap.com MPdesign1/4/2008 10:34 AM