WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Proceeds to a charity

mmag0213mmag0213 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in Selecting a Business
I am in the process of starting a business.  I want a portion of the proceeds of my product to go to a charity.  Does anyone know if this is something I need to get permission from the charity first?  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I would think it would be a charity that you are passionate about giving too and would suggest you build a relationship with them regardless. But if you are using their name, then yes, I would ask permission, of course!

Erin
  • mmag0213mmag0213 subscriber Posts: 1
    Is this your response because you have experience in this?  Or is this just your assumption?
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I have experience working with charities and have built relationships with folks who are operating the charity and also the folks they benefit. If ever you are going to use a name that is owned by another, charity or not, you should always ask permission. Some charities ask that you fill out a questionaire and so on. You should always proceed on the side of caution especially when using the name of a company or a trademark or a large organization non profit or not. What is the charity you would like to contribute too? I am sure that they would be happy to work with you and be appreciative of contributions.