WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Developing a networking website

loganfoxhollowloganfoxhollow subscriber Posts: 1
I have an idea for a networking website for people within my field, however I have no IT experience to create/design the type of website I want.  I have considered using a web design firm or partnering with web developers for a percentage of the profits.
Which way should I go, design firm or individual designers?  Either way I will need some IT help after the website is developed, but I am having difficulty finding individual web designers to potentially partner with?
I appreciate any help.

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi Loganfox,

Do you want to do scope work or do you have a monthly budget for developers?

Erin
  • loganfoxhollowloganfoxhollow subscriber Posts: 1
    Paula,
    Yes, you are correct.  However since I am not in the IT field I really don`t know how to go about finding qualified people to help me develop my website.  Without going into significant detail, my website would need similar functionality as sites like facebook.com or myspace.com.  I do not know the level complexity that this would involve, however I would expect development to take anywhere from 6 months to a year (let me know if you think I am way off here).  There are a few types of functionality that I want up front and then there are other ideas that I think will need to develop over time based on need/desire from my online community.
    -Logan
    Erin,
    I assume I will need scope work, but the programming depth is beyond my current expertise.  I don`t have a budget for development because I am still getting quotes from web development firms.  I was hoping to find some programmers that would be willing to work for cheap and accept a share of the business as compensation.
    -Logan
    Thanks Paula, that is very helpful direction...thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Best regards,
    Logan
    hostclick,
    I have done a significant amount of research to make sure my type of site doesn`t already exist...and I like to think I have a good idea   Open source is a good idea, I had never considered that, thanks for the help.
    Logan