WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Bank Account

SAKURASAKURA subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in Business Planning
I`m starting up my business as Solo.Do I need to have a Business Account?I`ve heard that as long as appers Business name on the account, it doesn`t have to be a business account.Thanks,Arisa

Comments

• Options
    LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    Sakura,What you want to do is get a DBA (Doing Business As).  Here`s a link for FAQ`s  regarding DBA:http://www.businessnameusa.com/dba.htmI hope this helps.LT
  • Options
    RebeckaRebecka subscriber Posts: 0
    You should maintain a separate business account. Even if you are working as a sole-proprieter you should not co-mingle your business and personal income/expenses.
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I agree. As a sole proprieter you need to go to your local circuit court and file a dba...they will search and make sure that no one is using that name and it is about $20.00. As far as a bank account EVEN under sole proprietership it is very important that you keep your professional account and personal accounts seperate. This can help with any tax or legal issues. All you usually need is 2 forms of IF your DBA , ficticious name record your ss#. If you have employees, then you will need an EIN # and this will have to accompany your vist to the bank.

Erin