WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Privacy policy and Disclaimer

incognitoincognito subscriber Posts: 1
I am about to launch a community site next week but I still haven`t found where I can have the Terms of Service written for me.
I need a Privacy policy and Disclaimer.
Who offers this service? I have asked in several forums but only generalized answers are posted. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Find a good one you like and copy it.
    R@
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    very true, instead of paying your attorney to do the entire thing from scratch. find what you like, make it your own and then have your attorney look it over.Less time, less money. BUT make sure you are covered , CYA!
  • incognitoincognito subscriber Posts: 1
    Interesting. I thought about this but feared there could be copyright infringement problems. I guess if I modify it to my site, the rest is generally the same in many sites.
    Thanks folks, appreciated.
  • pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Self-interested motivation aside, terms of use, privacy policies, and any other web-based agreements should be carefully and specifically prepared for the particular site.  When developing a community-based website, the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and COPPA are just a few laws that need to be dealt with carefully.  Also, incognito`s comment about infringement when copying another site`s terms is valid (minor modifications of the terms will NOT necessarily avoid infringement).Oftentimes I`m asked to review terms that a client has already prepared (or copied), and find that they simply don`t map to the functions that their website contain, or are simply outdated vis a vis applicable laws and regulations. 
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    I yield to the fine Barrister from NJ.
    Thanks for providing your insight!
    R@
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

Disclaimer

A common provision within a Terms of Use, a disclaimer communicates to the user that you cannot be held responsible for any information that may be displayed incorrectly on your site. It should provide that you cannot be held liable for any information that the user may have depended upon while visiting your website.

Privacy Policy

A privacy policy is really important as it details your company's procedures on the data it collects from visitors. Aside from many states requiring a privacy policy, if you ever plan on monetizing your blog by running ads from say AdSense, Google will not approve your blog until you link your privacy policy. You also must have it if you utilize cookies or an online account system, involve third-party merchant services, store information, and more.