WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website idea

DavePDaveP subscriber Posts: 1
I have a website idea similiar to facebook - what is the best way to get started?

Comments

• DavePDaveP subscriber Posts: 1
    I just wanted to get an idea on how somebody would start something like facebook.  Starting with website and everything else.

thanks
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    step one: design the website and test the website
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    There are several free or almost free applications that you can use on your website to test your concept and build an audience.  I use GoDaddy for all of my domains and site hosting and hey offer the free stuff.  They even install it on your site but you have to customize it to your brand.
    If you are not familiar with basic HTML and CSS programming, you would do well to hire a programmer who does. 
  • JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
    Just remember that there is an abundance of social networking sites about. So if you`re planning on investing your time and money in this type of website I suggest you start thinking about creating a special feature or directing your service to a specific niche, otherwise you`d likely find it hard to get people to sign up and update their profile or participate in anything you`re planning
    Jmes
  • DavePDaveP subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info - I understand that there are many social networking sites but the one that I am thinking of is different.  I would rather not charge but make it more like facebook - would I have to set up a business or use advertising to income.
  • drm7drm7 subscriber Posts: 1
    Being an ex-programmer (mainframe & web) I think many people overlook one of the most important parts of a system/website...the rules.  I`m currently developing a new spin on an old idea for a new website.  I`ve spent maybe 200+ hours working on the business rules and what I want the system to do.  If you are doing something other than basic ecommerce you will likely need to spend a LOT of time designing the business rules and how everything works together.  This helps to drive your database and types of pages you`ll need to accomplish all the work/rules. If you are building a social site you`ll need to spend most of your time on the rules.  When I used to develop computer systems we spent 50-80% of the project time working on rules and design.  The coding was almost an afterthought by the time you got to that part of the project.