WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

GlowTron.com: Need Help some comments regarding concept

devxdevx subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
Hi guys,
I would really appreciate it if you guys could comment on my website GlowTron.com. I am not too concerned about the design (however if you have any comments about the design, I am more then happy to hear it), but the overall concept. I am currently having difficulty explaining what my product is about. A lot of people have the misconception that I am actually selling stickers, which is a big problem, because if I am selling stickers, I am basically ripping people off!
What I am actually selling is Customized Electroluminescent (EL) Panels. You can think of Electroluminescent Panel of Neon Lights, only its thinner, emits and consumes less power. My value proposition is I am selling customized EL Panel with no MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) and there is no (expensive) tooling cost. I am targeting the car enthusiast market and also businesses. Since it’s not very common, I believe that the EL Panel is an innovative way to market your business offline.
So when you first visit my website, am I getting the message across (that I am selling Customized EL Panel) and also what its used for?
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Hi guys,
    A lot of people have the misconception that I am actually selling stickers, which is a big problem, because if I am selling stickers, I am basically ripping people off!

Unfortunately for you, I am all too familiar with the concept of EL, so I got it right away.  In fact I will likely place an order with you soon.
    Get campy.  Think like a consumer, not an engineer.  Come up with a fun name for the product.  How well would the "Light Bright" toy have sold if the toy manufacturer used the description from their patent application in their marketing?
    OK, people think you`re selling paper stickers.  Tell them up front that you are selling lighted window stickers.  Sell the solution, not the technology.  Your home page slide of "stand out" almost goes there, so run with that.
  • devxdevx subscriber Posts: 1
    hi guys,
    Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it.
    Charlie,
    Actually in my previous website I did mention that EL is used in aftermarket car gauges. Somehow I didnt copied it over to the new website.
    Videography,
    I appreciate the support, thanks man. Actually I came up with the the name ElektroGlow (instead of EL Panel, I didn`t really like the name). How does that sound? Another name I can think of is Light Panel, its not very creative, but I think its more to the point.
    CampSteve,
    Point taken, I will be making the necessary changes very
    soon (probably by the end of the week.). I would appreciate it if you
    could have a look.
    Keep`em coming guys!
    That the panels are EL is secondary to `what`s in it for me?`.  You can explain the technology on a FAQ page, or a `How it Works` page.
    How do you do it?  Do you start with a standard size EL panel and laminate it with a negative mask?  I have a product idea - how about an arrow that connects to the turn signals, but mounted up high like the third stop light?  When I signal a turn or lane change, I mean it.....
    Can the panel be mounted externally, like on the side of a van, or it it not waterproof?
    But, I digress.....
    For a campy name, try: `Electric Stickers` or `Lite Signs`.
  • farquarefarquare subscriber Posts: 0
    Along with Steve I really would like to know if it can be mounted on the outside of a vehicle or other surface, so please let us know. 

One of our product lines is the installation of low voltage landscape lighting and a number of customers have asked us to put a sign in their front yard indicating that Alfresco Living installed and is maintaining their landscape lighting.  There is an issue with doing this in that the sign would be visible during the day but not necessarily visible during the night when the lights are on.

So can this be mounted on a metal surface and out in the elements???

If so... ... ... let`s talk!!!!

As far as the website goes you need some pictures that actually show the product installed that will give your potential customers some perspective.  You do have one pic that does show one of these in a vehicle window but I can`t read the EL.  You could do that with a flash file that zooms in on the product. 

JP
    Sharp criticism, but dead on.  The technology is incidental, sell to the right audience:  The soccer mom, the Boomer mom.  What`s in it for them?
    You`re thinking too much like an engineer.  As I and others have pointed out, your product is one of those "why didn`t I think of that?" applications.  Lots of possibilities - a whole lot.  But you need to market to people like ebiznewbie, and your mom.  Not to geeks like me.
  • devxdevx subscriber Posts: 1
    ebiznewbie,
    Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Initially my target market were mostly car clubs, and I admit that I may have overlooked the female market. Copy writing is not my strongest point (and also my business partners). Most of the content on the website were written by me & my business partner and I agree that its a bit too technical. I will be getting some help, and I will definitely take your remarks into consideration.
    Steve,
    I was actually selling Pre-made designs initially. But most of the designs were not really good and a lot of people were requesting for their own design. Its printed on a film and then applied on to the EL Panel. I find that the printing actually last longer the mass produced ones (which tends to fade off after a few weeks, especially when its exposed to heat after a prolonged period.)
    Farquare,
    I need to test it out first. It will probably take a few weeks, but I will let you know whether its possible or not.
    BTW thanks for the business ideas. Some of it are really good, and I can t believe I didn`t think of it!