WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Please review my custom-built futuristic web application

shshaoshshao subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
http://HelpGlobe.com

The purpose of the HelpGlobe.com site is to create a cross between forums, Q&A, and Wikipedia.
How? You post questions and answers, both of which you can refine.
Why? Because as a knowledge base, you want to keep refining the quality.
Just recently finished most of the major features, with a lot of nights and sweat put into it. It has Ajax search, multiple sort and filter, topic helper, non-linear ratings and lots more.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cubemonkeycubemonkey subscriber Posts: 11
    Not to deter you, I`m always for new sites, but I`m just worried on how you`re going to set yourself apart from wiki.answers.com. You both are doing pretty much the same thing from what I can see.
    Try to think of an idea or feature that will really give your site an edge in the future.
    Best of luck!
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Functionally, since this is a website critique, I would have rather seen a short, easy to read opening screen describing the site and the benefits of membership.  I don`t see the purpose of the "score, relevance or votes" columns.  Otherwise, I had no problem navigating the site. 
    Steve
  • shshaoshshao subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the positive replies so far.
    I`ve become a very frequent user of help and Q&A sites, so I`m positive that there are many features that makes HelpGlobe.com better.  For example, the score and relevance helps me see which questions are interesting to me.
    I think the ongoing problem is there`s not the ONE big idea that sets my site apart.
    Oh well, it was a fun programming exercise.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member

I`ve become a very frequent user of help and Q&A sites, so I`m positive that there are many features that makes HelpGlobe.com better.  For example, the score and relevance helps me see which questions are interesting to me.

Don`t explain it to us.  If we don`t get it, then your visitors probably won`t either.
    You need an opening page (some call it the landing page) that says why HelpGlobe is the better search tool.  You say there are features that make it so, so develop your USP from that.  Don`t just dive into the search results.