WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Please Critique OnMyCity.Biz

smartsitessmartsites subscriber Posts: 5
edited July 2007 in Website Critique
Hi,I`ve been reading through many of the critiques here and everyone has given very good and useful information that I hope to get on my site. The main problem I`ve run into is my service / site does and provides so much so it`s very difficult to scale it down while being in fear of hiding the golden nuggets. OnMyCity.biz is my site and I welcome all comments and suggestions.Thanks    

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    You are right - there`s a lot of info that you really can`t cut.  I like the site and I may participate in it soon.My first observations:You really need a button near the "Join Now" that takes you to an "About" page.  Borrow heavily from the first blog - that`s how I stumbled onto a good description of your service.Also on the "Join Now" page, I was confused about the two levels of user, free and premium.  I see listings but no explanation why I am seeing the slide show.  Unless it`s significant, drop the slide show.I couldn`t find anywhere that described what the list of features were and why I would want them.  For instance, why do I need a shopping cart?Last - I would not promote the service as an alternative to anything - especially a Chamber of Commerce.  If anything it is a supplemental service.  In order to prime the pump, have you considered offering a charter membership (read "discount" into that) to the businesses signing up in the first year?Just an idea.Steve
  • smartsitessmartsites subscriber Posts: 5
    Thanks so much for the comments I really appreciate them. Let me answer your questions.The slideshow is showing that with a premium account you can actually upload your actual business card but with the free account you just get a plain white basic listing card.About the Join Now... from the sites i`ve been to they always have you click join then explain what you are joining. I`m trying to keep the clicks down to sign up but will look into that.List of features, maybe place a link to a features page?Well when I say alternative I mean in my experience their are many businesses that just don`t have the time to go to meetings all the time and I`m trying to word-play that their are other options, you don`t have to just join the chamber.. But I do see your point it does supplement the Chamber as another form of networking and getting the word out.As for the discount. At first we were just giving the free listing away without the ability to have your own profile, blog etc. But we decided to give that away free as well. So maybe we should note that it`s part of the premium for those that sign up first or something?
    "The slideshow is showing that with a premium account you can actually upload your actual business card"That I had to ask should have told you that I didn`t get it.  Another way of looking at it is that if you have to explain it, then your website didn`t make it clear.Either way, the rapidly changing slideshow is quite distracting.Your table of benefits says that the free account gets the business card and the premium doesn`t.
    Videography2007-7-19 0:43:28
    Ok. I will get rid of the animation. Also you said that the premium doesn`t show that you can upload your own card but it does. So maybe that is not clear?Do you think I should show the free card vs the paid card? Should I place a link on each feature with a hover description or one big page of all the features?
    Thanks Craig, I get what your saying... My research into web 2.0 sites led me to believe that you need to keep it simple and allow them to sign up and offer a free option which I have done. 5 things my business can do for you.1. Increase your visibility locally and in the search engines2. Make your content searchable and shareable3. Give you tools to network online4. Enable your customers to interact and communicate with your more effectivley5. Give you the ability to promote yourself Now those are the 5 concepts but we have many tools that accomplish those so not sure if that is what you mean.
    Do you think I should show the free card vs the paid card? Yes, but do a better job of telling the viewer what they are looking at.
    Ok I`m looking at my statistics and 75% is staying 0-30 seconds That tells me my home page is not enticing enough... Suggestions? Do I lose the big graphic and place less content or change what the graphic says? You asked me to look at startupnation and the reason I joined is because I found interest groups that intersted me. My network is new so I don`t have the content yet so I`m trying to sell by features or by what they can do?
    Do you understand the biz card and bizprofile graphic on top? 
    I asked that because I was thinking about changing it if it did not make sense. 
    Ok. As far as content goes I really only have the 5 titles, they I have latest posts then featured cards so when you talk about too much content are you talking about the latest posts and featured cards, i should ace those and change the 5 titles to the 5 benefits I defined earlier?
    Where? I went to washington and it was fine. I also took off cities for now anyways.