WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

MyFriendSuggests.com - Your thoughts?

fmapapfmapap subscriber Posts: 8
edited July 2007 in Website Critique
Hi all,
http://www.myfriendsuggests.com</A>
We just released our version 2 of our site, myfriendsuggests.com.  The site allows you to rate your favorite bars, restaurants, clubs, doctores, barbershops, etc... then it uses your ratings, combined with those of the people in your friend network to create customized suggestions for YOU!.  It also creates a similarity rating for you and every other user on the site so you can find out which reviewers you have the most in common with.  There are lots of other neat features as well.
I`d love any feedback especially on whether the message of the site is clear. 
Thanks.
Frank
http://www.myfriendsuggests.com</A>fmapap2007-7-16 21:58:16

Comments

• fmapapfmapap subscriber Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply.
    Just so I understand you correctly, your suggesting unregistered users be allowed to add new comments without registering?  I`ve thought about that but thought the spam would be horrible.
    I do like the idea of not asking for city state on registration screen since I can look that up based on Zip code.
    I`ve also been toying with the idea of a "dumbed down" suggestion generator that is available to non-registered users. The challenge is that what makes this site unique (IMO) is the suggestions and the concept of the friend network, both of which only really work if a user is registered.  So my focus is to make them a) want to register and b) easy to register.
    Thanks again for your thoughts, any more are also appreciated!

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Just so I understand you correctly, your suggesting unregistered users be allowed to add new comments without registering?  I`ve thought about that but thought the spam would be horrible.And how does registration prevent spam?  Do you perform a secondary validation?  Have you looked at Yahoo Groups lately - which requires registration.I thought your idea was more like `angieslist.com` than `craigslist.com`.  Angies list is exactly like your project but it lists people`s experience with home contractors.  (Angieslist is growing so fast that I wish that I had an early position with her company).Videography2007-7-17 9:49:33
    Good point.  I plan on adding some additional validation to the registration but as it is it doesn`t prevent spamming.
    I wouldn`t say the site is like craiglist or angieslist really... but closer to angieslist.  It`s sort of like Yelp and angieslist combined, but its different in that once your registered you will see much more personalized information whether it be the similarity rating between you and another user or personalizes suggestions that use your previous ratings and those of people like you to `guess` how you`d like other places you haven`t been.
    As I see my big challenge is that most of the `cool` features require registration and like all social networking type sites it requires many users to truly provide value to everyone.

Thanks,  We plan on looking into offering more features for users who are not registered.
    Has anyone registered?  I`m curious if people feel there is a much better set of functionality for the registered users?
    Thanks!
    Frank

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Has anyone registered?  I`m curious if people feel there is a much better set of functionality for the registered users?You would probably get more response from us if you just set up a dummy account and give us the particulars.