WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Dear Santa

sarahleighmsarahleighm subscriber Posts: 3
edited December 2006 in Selecting a Business
Dear Santa,
I have been a good mom all year. I have fed, cleaned and
cuddled my children on demand. I have visited the Doctor`s
office more than my doctor, sold more candy than my dentsist
would recommend to raise money to plant a shade tree on the
school playground. I was hoping you could spread my list over
several Christmases, since I had to write this letter with my
son`s red crayon, on the back of a receipt in the laundry room
between cycles and who knows when I `ll find anymore free
time in the next 10 years.
Here are my Christmas wishes:
I`d like a pair of legs that don`t ache (in any color except purple,
which I have already) and arms that don`t hurt or flap in the
breeze;but are strong enough to pull my screaming child out of
the candy aisle of the supermarket (whilst threatening to tell his
mother about his behaviour when we get home (think about
it...). I`d also like a waist, since I lost mine somewhere in the 7th
month of my last pregnancy. If you are hauling big ticket items
this year I`d like fingerprint resistant windows and a radio that
plays only adult music, oh and a television that doesn`t
broadcast any programs ccontaining talking animals! I`d also
like a fridge that has a secret compartment behind the crisper
where I can hide to talk on the phone. On the practical side, I
could use a talking doll that says"Yes, mommy" to boost my
parental confidence, along with 3 kids that don`t fight and a pair
of jeans that zip all the way up without the use of a power tool. I
could also use a recording of Tibetan Monks chanting"Don`t eat
in the living room" and "take your hands of your brother/s"
because my voice seems to be out of my childrens hearing
range and can only be heard by the dogs. If it`s too late to find
any of these products, I`d settle for enough time to brush my
teeth and comb my hair in the same morning, or the luxury of
eating food warmer than room temperature without it being
served in a styrofoam container. If you don`t mind, I could also
use a few Christmas miracles to brighten the season. Would it
be too much trouble to declare Ketchup a vegetable?Or to
coerce my children to help around the house without
demanding payment as if they were the bosses of an organized
crime syndicate. Well Santa the buzzer on the dryer is ringing
and my son is demanding his crayon back. Have a safe trip and
remember leave your wet boots by the door and come and dry
yourself off so you don`t catch a cold..just remember to hang up
the wet towel. Help yourself to cookies but don`t eat too many
and don`t drop any crumbs on the carpet.
Merry Christmas
Sarah
P.S. One more thing...you can cancel all of my requests if you
can only keep my children young enought to believe in Santa
forever!

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Dear Santa,Please make my business grow everyday.. Please send your techy elves to manage my servers, the women elves to answer my phones and Oh yes... Can you please help me by dropping off my business card at every one`s house... Thank you
  • StartupStellaStartupStella subscriber Posts: 2
    Dear Santa,I just wanted you to know that I think you`re the original and ultimate home business entreprenuer.Now. My list:I would like names of  some of your business contacts. I mean, who is in charge of your distribution network? This guy is a genius. I can`t take care of my eBay orders and you can schlep presents to good boys and girls all around the world. In a NIGHT. Woah.Also. The whole marketing thing you got going on. I bet you don`t do a penny in advertising, but, guess what? You`re in every newspaper, magazine, television show, and online portal. Can you send me the name of your PR rep?Finally, could I borrow some elves? What do you pay those guys, cookies and milk? I don`t know what governing body oversees labor in the North Pole, but, we have things called "laws" that prevent home business owners from utilizing free labor. Although, some of us are smart enough to have a couple little elves, we call, "children," to help out. (This strategy often backfires, though. Please see Sarah`s post.)Oh, and, you know, please bring peace on earth, yada yada yada.Say hello to Rudolph.
    Startup Stella
  • MeitziMeitzi subscriber Posts: 4
    I`ve got a question I`ve started asking people in the past few years. "Do you believe that One Thing will solve your life`s current problems?" In other words, if you could ask Santa for stuff---things---like Sarah`s done so nicely, a) what would you ask for, and b) do you think it would "solve everything?"If not, then what WOULD you ask for? What if you have a magic lantern that grants you 1 single wish. What would it be?
    as shallow as it might sound, perhaps winning the lotto might `solve` quite a few problem to some people? Meitzi2006-12-21 11:51:18
  • CheerDirectorCheerDirector subscriber Posts: 4
    I would ask for a few moments alone with my travel-too-much husband that does not involve cheerleading, accounting, emails, phone calls or settling fights between my lovely and very energetic boys.
    Oh and jewelry is nice too.
  • SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Wow...yeah...tough one! The lottery is a good one! I posted that letter on my blog the other day. SO fitting!
    Man...if I could get something from Santa...what would it be! Sheesh! Ya` know...there are sooo many things I want...
    I think if I won the lottery (a BIG one)...that would help! I could get the medical help I needed to truly help make Tylor better instead of just trying to constantly put out the fires that errupt. I could help my mom pay her bills long enough for her to find a job that doesn`t abuse her. I could pay off the bills that continually keep us in the hole so there is less tension in our house over where something is going to come from. I could get cars for me and my husband that are reliable so I don`t have to get up in the wee hours to rescue my stranded husband from the side of the road where his car has died...again. I could get the house put back together and remodeled completely so we aren`t dealing with faulty electricity, bad plumbing, and poor heating...oh yeah...and the roof that is now missing. I could really get the non-profit off the ground and start truly helping people and making a difference in other families lives instead of just hoping someday it will all come around. And I could get that vacation, the honeymoon that my husband and I have never had and have wanted and needed so badly for the last 6 years.
    Besides that...ehh...all is good this year! It might sound very selfish...but I would ask for the BIG lottery winning!! Yep! That`s the one for me! Peace on earth and all that is nice too...but how do I know someone else won`t wish for that...wouldn`t want to waste my wish on something someone else is already taking care of!  
    Yeah...I had heard that somewhere too! I would probably be without money...but hopefully a few things had changed. Hard to say what would happen though...ya` know...hard to say how I would react once I had millions! HAHAHAHAHA!! Me....with millions!!!  
  • MeitziMeitzi subscriber Posts: 4
    not for us serious entreprenuers!  For those of us who have been working so hard on building up a solid business plan, or for some phenomenal  moms like Leah who started a non-profit because of her son, would definitely know how to use it wisely.  Why? because people like that have goals in their lives. 
    Winning lotto definitely cannot buy happiness but can help people to achieve goals. Look at Leah`s wish list if she wins the lotto - they are all pratical, solving part of the problem in life. 

Thanks Meitzi...you just always have a way of bringing on the warm fuzzies!!!
    Isn`t it interesting, though. Self-starters, entrepreneurs, and people with ideas so rarely play the lotto. Yet those who want something for free, who believe in luck as the only solution, or simply are too passive to do anything other than tack on a lotto ticket when they buy something in a store--those are the ones who would win.If you REALLY want a lot of money, then you`ll be totally focused on getting a lot of money! That`s the essence of the "Think and Grow Rich" book. So if you don`t have a lot of money, there can be only two reasons for it. The first is that your life destiny is such that what you`re doing instead of having money is more important. The second is that you really aren`t that interested in a lot of money, but something else instead.
    Man...so true...so totally true!!!
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    "Do you believe that One Thing will solve your life`s current problems?"
    "No one thing is going to change anyone`s life" ~ Richardism
    What problems? There are no problems ... just opportunities. I know, I know ... I don`t have three screaming kids hanging on me while trying to operate a business and/or (insert whatever here). Seriously ... problems are nothing but opportunities. I just cringe when I hear the word ... "problem."
    Life IS change. If things didn`t change everyday, we`d all be bored. Change creates challenges and challenges create growth and growth is one reason we are here.
    The weather changes everyday and we somehow manage to adapt. Life changes ... adapt to it. Make it what you want. Repeat ... WHAT YOU WANT.
    I am Santa. You are Santa .... and you, and you, and you and you. Be Santa everyday. Never stop believing in Santa. Santa knows that anything is possible ... if you want it bad enough and you`re good and you do good and you give ... Santa makes it happen
    Merry Christmas to all. I wish you all much success in 2007!
    R@
     keycon2006-12-22 22:43:22
  • PDWPDW subscriber Posts: 3
    Great question CraigL.  I think my one request would be good health for me and my family, especially my 2 boys (Logan age 2 and Dylan age 5).
    Business wise I would request that my profits from each of my websites would increase by 10% everyday.
  • emolleno27emolleno27 subscriber Posts: 1
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Merry Christmas Nation!
    R@
  • epetersepeters subscriber Posts: 1
    Hmmm, winning the lottery. That`d be nice. But I wouldn`t waste a lot of money on tickets. How about those guys that spend like $50 a week on them? If they took the $2600 a year and took their wife on a short vacation, or invested it properly they wouldn`t have to worry about winning. I saw a show about people who win the lottery and it seems like alot of them do drugs and stuff and end up miserable anyway.
    Yeah...I think that is the one pitfall to winning the lottery...you have to buy a lottery ticket!
    I hope you all had a wonderful X-mas! I personally did not win the lottery this year for X-mas...BUT...I did get a great new monitor from my hubby which has opened up the space on my desk so I have more room to work and function here in my office space...which means I can focus better on where I am going and what I am doing...and that is kind of like winning  the lottery. It has been a rough holiday season this year...but when I look at my son, my husband, my job, my home...it may not have been the BIG win...but I won the lottery...that is for sure. My house isn`t perfect...but it is still a house...my son might be sick a lot...but I couldn`t have asked for a more wonderful and loving child...my husband...well...he is him...and I love him for that...and yeah...even he was a great win...even if he drives me crazy at times. I have my "problems" in life...but from those issues I have built a foundation of love and trust and hopefully...at some point...financial security...and that is all I can ask for this holiday season!
    Best to you all...hope your New Year is FANTASTIC!!!