WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Woes of Finding Start up Funding

JahscoJahsco subscriber Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Startup Funding
It has been SO hard finding $$ to start a business, but this board is quite helpful, especially learning about people`s experiences finding seed money. I have come across two sites that many of you probably know a thing or two about.
Please give me your thoughts on the following websites:
Fundraiser 1.0 and www.thesnaploan.com as sources for getting money for startups.
What has been the general experience?
Thanks

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I`m sorry to hear you have found it so hard to find funding.

As I interpret their web info,  Fundraiser 1.0 as essentially promoting and selling their material so you can make money - which you can use to start your other business.

How much capital are you seeking?
  • JahscoJahsco subscriber Posts: 4
    Yes, it has not been easy. I am looking for at least 50k for initial operating expenses to get to launch. I am starting an e-commerce site.
    So you think Fundraiser 1.0 is worth a try? I get so weary with all these offers to make money, especially for startups. As many of us know, it`s such a viable market since entrpreneurs are so desperate for seed money.
    Thanks for your response!
    Jahsco,

If you feel you can find a niche that isn`t already being served and market successfully to that niche - then you may have some success. But if I`m going to go to all that effort, I`d want more exclusivity.

What have you done so far to acquire the $50K?
    I have tried to get a bank loan with no success thus far, contests. I have not contacted any VC`s because I am constantly being told that, at this stage, my company is not ready to receive VC funds. I have also researched online lenders, but I am very skeptical.
    Jahsco,

If by VC`s, you mean Venture Capital firms that invest other people`s money -then I would agree. Candidly the amount you are seeking and the stage of your business would probably make you a "non candidate".

However, there are options beyond the bank and a VC firm - which are essentially the two ends of the funding "spectrum".

Do you have a business entity set up or are/were you trying to borrow the funds as a personal loan?
    I have set up the company as a sole proprietor, but plan to change the company to a LLC.
    No, I have applied for a loan as a business owner.
    What are other funding options do you suggest?
    Thanks for all the great feedback!
    J.
    Hi Robin,
    I posted about Fundraiser 1.0 about a week ago, asking if anyone had used them before. I never got any feedback and now you mention them!
    How does it work and what has been your experience? I sent you an email if you want to respond to my personal email.
    Thanks
  • ssrrssssrrss subscriber Posts: 0
    Robert J,
    I am seeking seed capital. Am based in India.
    After spending 15yrs as salesman for crticial care respirators in the Indian market I am since 5yrs promoting the same as indepnedent cosultant. Now I want to set up a marketing organisation adding more products.
    I see that there are many Angel Investors group and funding agencies abroad/mostly in USA, etc difficult for me to access.
    I am finding it difficult to raise fund from all available sources like banks as I do have any securities like assetts for busines loans. My idea is great, welcomed much, having wide scopes/profits but they all need guarantors or securities.
    What are yor advises for me to get the fund of US$ 150,000/= ?
    Thank you

ssrrss,
    Accessing US capital will be highly problematic because:
    1. The amount you are seeking is well below the norm for all institutional sources.
    2. Angels and angel groups like to invest "close to home" (say within a 2 hour drive)
    3. Private investors may not have the comfort level to invest in a foreign situation.

I think your best bet is finding support in your country. Although I`m not well versed in the nuances of acquiring capital there, I`d suggest the basics:
    1 Develop a solid business plan
    2  Assemble a team around you - as appropriate
    3. Build your constituency

Hope this helps.