WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

IP, Copyright and Protection of Rights.

donacapagunzdonacapagunz subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello guys, there is a lot of informaton out there, but its NEVER absolutely clear when it comes to certain "secrets" in business. I worked for Apple and I soon realised that they DO NOT actually make anything when it comes to mostly their "hardware" products, they have a supplier (or a series of suppliers), who make the products and for some reason (I need help UNDERSTANDING the reasoning or concept), that supplier will NOT sell to anyone else. I`m sure about this because I owned an MP3 player that looks and functions exactly like the iPod, before the iPod came out. Not to discredit Jobs or Apple as an organization, but I`m doing alot of research on the Chinese market and I`m uncovering alot of valuable info. Where I need help understanding is here. I have found a product in one of the  BRIC nations that is NOT being marketed abroad or on mainstream media. I think it would do really well here. Is there such a thing as Distribution rights or is there a way I can like DELL ensure that my supplier isnt selling the same product I`m marketing? Is this what they call Branding? Is there any Intellectual Property in any of these scenarios including mine? How can I get more info, because in this case Im not making anything I just want to market the product widely as Dell does.
I look foward to your input.

Comments

• ShagShag subscriber Posts: 0
    Don,
    It all depends on the agreement you sign with the supplier. Your would want very concrete Intellectual Property, Work for Hire and Limited Distribution rights in place before you do one single thing. Get a good attorney involved. It would be well worth the money you spend.