WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

www.eriskay-associates.co.uk

Sparky68Sparky68 subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in Website Critique
 I`d be very grateful for feedback on this website. Many thanks, Mark.

www.eriskay-associates.co.uk

Comments

• ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    I like it. The color palate and the content looks fine to me. The sites easy to navigate which is a plus. I thought you were located in Sydney because the buildings at the top of the page look like the Opera House but anyway that doesnt matter. Overall nice job!
  • ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    Oh yea couple minor things, the page kind of loads funny on the top left once you first click into your site. Also, make sure you make a link back to your homepage maybe by clicking the Eriskay logo.
  • Sparky68Sparky68 subscriber Posts: 3
    Many thanks Prodigy - I was pleasantly surprised to get such positive feedback - I was kind of expecting a kicking - so thank you and I`ll get on to the points you raise. BTW... the building you refer to is in Glasgow, Scotland! Best wishes, Mark.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Mark, I don`t normally do website critiques. But I`ve decided to make an exception in your case. Unlike some of my colleagues here on the forum, I don`t believe in criticizing just for the sake of criticizing. Sometimes, it`s okay to tell someone, "your website is fine." After all, there is no such thing as the perfect website. There are things about "ALL" websites that can be better.

Now to the matter at hand. The design and functionality of your website is fine. Very attractive and professional.  Great job! However, I can`t let you off the hook completely.

I think that you should add a sitemap to your website. A sitemap is a representation of the architecture of your site. Here`s how having a sitemap can help: When the Googlebot gets ready to crawl your site, the first thing it does is look for a sitemap. If it does not find a sitemap, it will proceed to crawl your site manually and determine for itself your site`s most relevant pages. So the main advantage for having a sitemap is speed.
    By speed I mean, Google will take much less time to crawl your site. Crawling will occur more frequently, and the Googlebot will automatically know what pages on your site are the most relevant. Site maps can also improve search engine optimization of your site by making sure that all the pages can be found.

Also, being a copywriter, whenever I see weak, uncompelling copy, my antennae go straight up. Get rid of the standard corporate line "Welcome to Eriskay Associates," and replace it with a compelling, benefit-laden headline that speaks to your target audience. Follow that up with "kick-butt, take no prisoner copy" that pulls the reader in and makes him or her want to hang around longer than a nano-second!

Dale King

DKing5/17/2008 8:41 AM