WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Securing and protecting my name, logo and whatnot

MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
edited March 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
Today I decided, I want to get things moving on my cafe. I want to feel like I`m getting somewhere. I went to secure my domain name for Comfy Cafe, and lo and behold, the name comfycafe.com was being squatted on by a speculator asking 888 for it. Not worth it. I had a list of good names. After a flurry of text messages, Comfy Cozy Cafe seemed even better than the original, with more alliteration. comfycozycafe.com was mine 10 mins later, and I got .net and .org as well, since they had a group discount package.
Anyway, I want to secure said company name with the government, so that I feel comfortable talking about it in public, and so that I make more tangible process in the mean time of securing the loan. Can I "hold" a business name officially with no foreseeable immediate use? I`d just like the state to know The Comfy Cozy Cafe is a work in progress and not to let anyone take it out from under me.I`d also like to preemptively trademark/copyright all my slogans and logos and whatnot. Essentially, I just want to make sure my idea is still mine when I finish it. I realize the odds of another person beating me to my own idea is slim, but I always err on the side of caution. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated. I came into some money recently and am using it to get the business jump-started in every way I can. I just like being able to check off my to-do list. Makes me know "this is happening."

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I suggest you hire a trademark attorney.
  • LSnyderLSnyder subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Matt,
    I have just the man for you!  I work for an attorney that can definitely help you out.  First, you may be able to trademark your name without retaining an attorney.  Please visit our website @ http://www.informationlaw.com.  The attorney`s name is Daniel Pepper.  His website makes trademarking available online. If you would like to speak with him, give me a call @ 908.698.0330 and we can schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation with you. 
    I must let you know that his fees are $250.00 per hour should  you go past the 1/2 hour marker.  Dan is a great attorney and a great guy and will help you with your questions.
    Good Luck!
    Lisa
    lisa@informationlaw.com
    Pepper Law Group, LLC
    21 E. High Street Suite D
    Somerville, NJ 08876