WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do I go about starting up a small photography business?

JRaeJRae subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2006 in Selecting a Business
I am taking a 2 hour photography class once a week and feel I am ready to start getting some clients, focusing on outdoor head and shoulders portraits for now. I would appreciate any advice on the first steps to take and how to advertise, etc. Pretty much any advice or tips. Thanks!

Comments

• ChelseaChelsea subscriber Posts: 1
    you could use word of mouth, reccomendations, flyers through doors, advertising in shop windows etc....
    as long as you are good you will get the reccomendations
  • JRaeJRae subscriber Posts: 1
    Let`s say I take 20 pictures. What percentage of those do you feel should be sellable before I consider myself good enough to start advertising?
  • BryanneBryanne subscriber Posts: 1
    When i started my self it was with family and friends and word of mouth started. I did flyers, i went to an elemntary school were i knew lots of the teachers and had the put flyers in the kids folders i also started a MYSPACE page, i did that before i did my web-site. I would bring my camera and my business cards with me so if you see a mom with a new baby you can give her your card. I put flyers up at the shoping centers and just about any were that would allow me to put them up in. I talked to other friends who i knew had a business and they would mention me to others or put my name on there site.I would do some trade of  services ex: i did a business event i did the pictures free for them and when they posted the pics they put my name and link down.(to advertise on there page is was something like $25 a month and they gave me 4 months of being on there page with out paying) Sometimes trade of services can have a big outcome, granted its not something you want to do ALL the time but in the start it doesn`t hurt. I donated my services to a silent auction and to a raffell.  Think simple but BIG at the same time if that makes any sense.
    Best of luck,
    BryanneBryanne5/30/2008 7:07 PM
  • mpaceympacey subscriber Posts: 0

OK I AM NEW TO THE EXPOSURE OF MY NEW PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS AND I  HAVE BEEN ADVERTISING ALL OVER BUT I WAS DRAWN TO YOUR STATEMENT OF SILENT AUCTION.
    WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT DO FOR A NEWER COMPANY?
    WHAT DID YOU GAIN FROM IT?
     HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT STARTING A SILENT AUCTION?
    HOW SUCCESSFUL WAS IT?
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    jrae/mpacey,

photography strikes me as a local business. in other words do you really care if someone in china knows about you? maybe if you are selling photography and can deliver it digitally sure.

but i am assuming you are refering to physically taking pictures at weddings/family portraits, graduation etc? if so then a good idea to get started marketing on the cheap might be to approach similar but non competing businesses in your local area.  for example if you are specializing in wedding photography, you may want to visit the bridal store that sells dresses, or the wedding planner`s office and develop a relationship with them. they can then refer business to you as couples go to them to plan their weddings.

this is a free and instant solution for you initially. develop these relationships with as many vendors/service providers where your client is likely to go. start with your city then move outward to nearby cities. if you do well with this you may never have to spend a dime advertising. after all your income is a result of the hours you put in. there are only so many hours a day you can work. the business you get from word of mouth will be more than enough to keep you busy as you build this over time.

you can continue to evaluate your business development and growth as you move on - perhaps hire staff in the future? start a website and sell some of your work? photo auctions? ebay? the possibilities are endless.

good luck to you and let us know of your progress!!!
  • RetiredMember5RetiredMember5 subscriber Posts: 0
    A great reference that my attorney colleague and I have released for new business owners is a FREE step-by-step guide on how to start, operate and grow your business.  We have put together in a 60-page interactive document more than 15 years experience and countless issues that we have heard from our clients, as well as what we have experienced firsthand as entrepreneurs.  Such guide is recommended by more than a dozen government agencies.   Check it out, I am confident that you will find it helpful.  Let me know.
  • infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    The first priority will be get a website done up where you can upload your portfolio onto it. You could start off by running your business from your own apartments. It's widely accepted.