WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How far into the future should I plan?

kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
edited January 2007 in Business Planning
The nature of the business I`m building is that it grows fast and changes quick. It`s becoming very hard for me to project my financial statements beyond three years. Is it generally acceptable that, if my business requires, I can just do a 3 year projection?

Comments

• sooonsooon subscriber Posts: 5
    in this I have other take.normally people do 1, 3, 5 year plan. but I think another alternative is your goal plan. for example, let say i m starting some web 2.0 company and web is ever changing. so i have to set a target to achieve that only i can take my next step.for example, only after i can get 10,000 user base then only i can start roll out shopping cart business. or, everyday i get a 5000 unique page view then i roll out my e-commerce plan. etc.of course, if you are doing this, you has to have a good view of where your company will go in milestone. and I think this will let you manage and measure your achievement better and more dynamic.my 2 cent.
  • katscoolcorner1katscoolcorner1 subscriber Posts: 0
    Collin, For any funding sake you should at minimum have a three year projection. Update it as you go past 2- 2 1/2 years.  That way you can aticipate a changing market and if it`s a ferocious growth you will also numbers documented for three years with the modifications towards ferocious.
    kat.