WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is the description meta tag needed on all pages?

aaronserrandsaaronserrands subscriber Posts: 6
the home page has all of the description tag and meta tags, bt the other three pages do not. Do all of the pages of the website need these?aaronserrandswww.weworkyouplay.net

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Not required but recommended. The description tag is what will be displayed beneath your site name in a search result; if you don`t include the tag, the engine will just pull text from the page and display that instead.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Every one of your web pages should have a unique (to the others) title and description which is relevant to each page`s content.
    While not all search engine use the description tag, Google does.
    ~Roland
  • starrhornestarrhorne subscriber Posts: 0
    One thing to keep in mind is that the search engines view every page as a separate entity. So you can`t just set up your meta tags on your home page and expect them to be applied to every other page on your site.This is where it`s really handy to have a CMS system...even wordpress...that can do some of the work for you.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Ok, If you ask me? I think that each page should have it`s own meta tags whether it`s keywords or Description. From my experience, your meta tags are only useful if you know how to use them correctly.
    For example staying within the limits of what is considered exceptional. Now what is exceptional? Well staying within the limits for example: Don`t use stop works in your title, Staying within the 167 characters [including white-spaces] in your keywords and keeping it under 155 words in the description.
    But of course not everyone follows the rules, the first thing someone does when adding keywords to their web site`s is: using redundancy in the words, for example "car dealer, affordable car dealer, cheap car dealer" why not use: "afordable, cheap, car dealer" although the words are separated, the search engines are still going to look for the keywords, affordable, cheap and car dealer.... So do you need the meta tags? Yes, if you are using Organic Submissions, and No if you are using paid submission "Google Adwords".... Depends on your strategy.... and how much you know about SEONuevolution10/15/2007 12:48 AM
    Nikole .... not being argumentative, just curious ..... what do you consider to be false information?
    I agree, and wish, that a site should be made just for site visitors, and it wouldn`t bother me a bit if SEO was thrown out the window; unfortunately, it`s as if theres a huge game involving search engines and algorthyms and black hat and keywords and tags and PR, making you feel you almost have to take part of it to get any type of results in a basic search. It seems endless sometimes, and the overall aspect has, to me, gone too far overboard. I am not an SEO expert; I only use the basics which almost seem mandatory anymore. I certainly have no desire to follow and be part of every possible type of promotion or technique to gain a spot in the SERP`s .... I don`t do blogs or articles or intricate link schemes. Content for a sites user should always be the main factor, but anymore, you have to do at least something in terms of SEO so you don`t totally lose out in searches.
    Webline2007-10-16 17:32:5
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    the home page has all of the description tag and meta tags, bt the other three pages do not. Do all of the pages of the website need these?aaronserrandswww.weworkyouplay.net
    Yes.  Yahoo looks at this meta tag in its algorythm.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I think your copy should be written for your market, not Google.No, copy should be written for your market AND for Google.  Every good SEO person knows this.