WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

finding or creating a list of customers

ChetChet subscriber Posts: 2
edited June 2007 in Marketing
I have a product that I would like to target the at Amusement parks, National Monuments, Museums, Zoos, aquariums, etc.

I`m trying to find a good web resource where I can collect contact information for the directors of marketing for these places, assuming they are the decision makers.

I`d like to build my customer list database and collect:
Industry, business name, contact name, address, email, phone, website, etc.

I can go to wikipedia and find lists of all of the places, but where can I get lists of information for the right people without having to spend a thousand dollars?

Any assistance would be grealy appreciated.

Comments

• bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    I know you are trying to be nice but it is the case most times, not sometimes...
  • ChetChet subscriber Posts: 2
    Not to be rude, I do appreciate the responses. But the point I made orignally is that I don`t have their information (like the phone number) and want to know if anyone knows where this information might exist.
  • bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    You said "I have a product that I would like to target the at Amusement parks, National Monuments, Museums, Zoos, aquariums, etc." 
    What I would do is use these key words for Google searches, get the base phone numbers and start calling like Nikole says.  When you make your calls you may not be able to talk to the right people but you can at least get their name and address.  Maybe even set up a future call.  If you are unsuccessful, but you obtained their name and address, you can send them a letter asking for a good time to speak with them.  Just good old fashion selling builds good lists of value.bert2007-6-13 15:31:44
  • ktoddktodd subscriber Posts: 1
    Chet,
    There are a lot of places to get the information, sometimes it is less expensive to buy the list you need rather than spending the time cold calling.  But with that said your local library has access to many services even those that are for fee like reference USA.  Larger metropolitan areas allow access to the database via web once you get your library card, although with the library service the number of leads you can download at a time may be limited. 
    You may also want to look for associations and or trade magazines in that industry.
    Good luck,
    Ken
  • smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    I just built a list of 600 customer contacts for my day job as a sales rep. I used google, visited the website, and made a phone call. The phone call was a simple" who is in charge of ......." "who handles...." and that is how I got the names I needed. Yes it is leg work but it is free and familiarizes me with the customers business as well. You can try to purchase a list from a company like infousa.com but it may not have the current contact names and it can be pricey.
    Thank you for the advice - this definately helps.
  • smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    Chet,  If yes. Then use the yellow page heading and access Reference USA from your local library. This is free and you can download records for FREE that includes key contact information and demographics. You can filter your searches by a number of parameters including # of employs, annual revenues and geography.
    I`ve never heard of Reference USA. It sounds great and would be very useful for me. Do all libraries have it?
    Brilliant Andrew. Fantastic advice. Looks like I know what I`ll be doing this weekend.