WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Startup advice needed

albertgatesalbertgates subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Business Planning
Hi All,
I have a good internet startup idea that I would like to develop
further. However, I`m not a techie and I do no have any startup
experience. My background is in management consulting - have been in the industry for almost two years. I`m currently working on a business plan, and I don`t have plans to seek vc (I don`t want to give up equity).
I was hoping I could gather some advice from people who have been there
and who have done it. How would you suggest I get started? Should I try
and put a team together? Should I build a beta using an Indian outsourcing firm?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Hi All,
    I have a good internet startup idea that I would like to develop further. However, I`m not a techie and I do no have any startup experience. My background is in management consulting - have been in the industry for almost two years. I`m currently working on a business plan, and I don`t have plans to seek vc (I don`t want to give up equity).
    I was hoping I could gather some advice from people who have been there and who have done it. How would you suggest I get started? Should I try and put a team together? Should I build a beta using an Indian outsourcing firm?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Before you embark on a "build it" direction - here are some things I would do for little (if any) expense:

Assemble your first team. Teams are powerful. This initial team (3-5 folks) can be your personal support team and help you clarify your vision and direction
    Define the problem you are going to solve
    Conduct some initial "research" -

Competitive landscape
    ID possible customers / users

Determine your business model.
    Get input/feedback from your prospective customer base
    Build your constituency    

Start an advisory team?

• Options
    smithgerry02smithgerry02 subscriber Posts: 0
    Yes, its true that today many more of us are planning to start a small business and becoming our own boss, so that we can earn more money and spend more time with friends and family.