WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Creating Value? Tell me the truth.

shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
edited November 2007 in Sales
Hi, all! My marketing and public relations firm is coming along quite well. I am interested in learning what specific products and services you are seeking in a marketing and public relations firm. What type of benefits and value are you seeking? What`s the "it" that will get you to hire a certain firm? Are you seeking one-time help or continuous help? Thanks.
Shayla

Comments

• shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
    I think marketing services should be continuous, and you should present it to the client that way ... because it`s not just the now, it`s setting up the now for everything to happen in the future. So if people are going to hire out for marketing and PR, they should be hiring out someone to make their entire calendar and set up several campaigns to launch at different times, as well as monitoring for those campaigns.

Hello! Thanks for the input. I understand marketing services should be continuous. However, small businesses don`t always have the funds to hire you month after month. Are there any services I can offer as a "start up package"?
    Thanks,
    Shayla
  • storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Hi Shayla,
    As a new business about to launch I would be looking for press releases, articles, blog/newsletter authoring, as well as content for web and print collateral items (brochures, catalogs, ect.) A start up package that included all or some of those items would be helpful.

Perhaps clients could have the option of adding some kind of retainer fee to their start-up package, which would reduce their rates for future services. So for example, if they pay for the retainer up front they would receive a discount off (maybe a percentage) of ala cart items or packages they will most likely need down the road. Does this make sense?

Great! Are there any PR products I can sell besides books, ebooks, and information products? I have the services, but I want to sell a PR product. Any suggestions?
    Also, do small businesses purchase e-books online? If so, can you provide a price range? I am thinking about producing a 20 to 30 page marketing/pr e-book for about $6-$10.
    Shaylashayla200411/30/2007 10:47 PM
  • studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    Hi, Shayla,
    Here is the PR service/product I would love:  I tell you about the product I am launching and maybe an angle or two that I think might make it newsworthy, and you do the research and copywriting of a killer press release that people will notice.  If you have a talent for it, you`ll be able to show results, and more people will hire you.  Be the press release guru who can turn virtually anything into interesting news that results in articles and positive coverage.
    Warm Regards,
    Cherie

<a class="postlink" href="
    http://www.studiocherie.com">http://www.studiocherie.com</a>

Hi, Shayla,Here is the PR service/product I would love:  I tell you about the product I am launching and maybe an angle or two that I think might make it newsworthy, and you do the research and copywriting of a killer press release that people will notice.  If you have a talent for it, you`ll be able to show results, and more people will hire you.  Be the press release guru who can turn virtually anything into interesting news that results in articles and positive coverage.Warm Regards,Cherie 
    <a class="postlink" href="
    http://www.studiocherie.com">http://www.studiocherie.com</a>

Thanks. However, this would classify as a PR service. The hardest thing for clients to understand is that a press release doesn`t bring in attention for your business; it only is an agent that helps in the process.
    The real service is the research pushing the product into the news market and calling back the media for follow-ups. It really does take a lot of time and effort. Nothing is guaranteed in this business; that`s why small businesses don`t place a lot of money on marketing/public relations. When in reality, it should be just the opposite.
    But, you did give me a possible idea for a PR service. I think the problem isn`t always the writing of the press releases for business. I think the problem is the news angles small businesses choose.
    How about I create a service that allows small businesses to fill out a form and then I could generate angles (minimum five) for them?
    Would you be interested in that?
    Thanks.