WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Having a hard time finding manufacturer/sales reps

willberichwillberich subscriber Posts: 2
edited May 2008 in Sales
 Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any good leads for finding sales reps. I have a line of natural body products based on beauty practices from all over the world. I have looked at a couple of pay websites like RepHunter, but does anyone have any other ideas about how to find a bath and body sales rep?    Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TapeSealTapeSeal subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Willberich, I know it is awhile since your original post.  Do you have any local boutique type of stores that carry at least a lateral type of product.  You could always ask them who the reps are that come into the stores.  I would also suggest going to a local public or tradeshow, even if as a visitor, you might be able to start networking that way and find some reputable reps.

The following book was recommended to me "Selling Through Independent Reps".  I haven`t read it yet but sounds like a promising read.
  • Options
    willberichwillberich subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your reply.  I will certainly try what you suggest!
  • Options
    poopourripoopourri subscriber Posts: 1
    I would look online for similar lines and see who their reps are.  Then send the rep groups samples of your product for them to try.  It also helps to have statistics.  For example when I started my company I had a store that sold about 8 cases their first month.  I gave them that info as well as the store owners name to verify that the information was in fact true.  Reps want to know that your product retails.  I am also always open to help.  i got my start here and my company did over 1 million in sales in the first year.  Its time for me to give back Good luck!
  • Options
    AlexaBAlexaB subscriber Posts: 0
    I would look online for similar lines and see who their reps are.  Then send the rep groups samples of your product for them to try.  It also helps to have statistics.  For example when I started my company I had a store that sold about 8 cases their first month.  I gave them that info as well as the store owners name to verify that the information was in fact true.  Reps want to know that your product retails.  I am also always open to help.  i got my start here and my company did over 1 million in sales in the first year.  Its time for me to give back Good luck!

Great advice is to look for similar lines. And it IS hard to get your first rep, it took us 6 month to find her. But after that, once you mention that you have sales reps and showroom(s) it is a completely new game. Good luck!