WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do I market this idea?

alan081954alan081954 subscriber Posts: 2
edited May 2007 in Marketing
First time poster folks. I have an idea for the "Big Box" building supply chains to advertise their products in a whole new way that has never been done before. I`ve done some research and have not seen it done anywhere. I visited 9 different states in the last 2 months and visited my target sites at random.I have no startup cash,Just my idea and somewhat of a plan to put this into place and get it out to the customers. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks

Comments

• RaydenRayden subscriber Posts: 2
    Maybe you want to give Prosper a look.  A few startups were able to borrow cash to fund their ideas.JimmyFoundersCafe.com
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    consider a patent application - if it is really new
  • bookloverbooklover subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    Is it a "device" you can patent or a "system" that would be implemented? 
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    or a "system" you can patent?
  • alan081954alan081954 subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input,It really is not a device (although I would have to have a small bracket to hold a piece of paper which I think those can be bought)My idea is to target a certain customer with an ad that would be printed up and distributed to that paticular customer on a regular basis. (It is hard to ask and answer some questions for fear of someone running with my idea)I hope you all understand.
  • themgirlsthemgirls subscriber Posts: 0
    Welcome! Since you have NO funding at this time we have to go the least expensive route. To protect yourself do a `poor man copyright` how? Put your complete idea on paper including graphics, etc. have you and a witness someone you trust to sign off on it and them mail it to yourself. When you receive it in the mail DO NOT OPEN IT. Keep it just in case someone steals your idea, you can have the judge open it in court. The purpose of mailing it to yourself is that it will be dated and stamped as a safekeeping of your original idea. Understand?
    Now, with that protection you have a little security to go to some perhaps local or abroad manufactures to find out how and how much they will charge to mass produce your idea?  If you find a manufacturer that is interested you can then go and approach chain stores to see if they would be interested in stocking your idea. If so, get a written committment as to the quantity of orders.  If you generate enough orders with a significant dollar amount a manufacturer may mass produce your idea for a small percentage on the backend. Which means you didnot have to come out of pocket to finance your idea.
    Once you generate revenue from your invention you can then invest in securing and attorney, patent and copyright idea the costly way.
    Make sure you have an excellent presentation packet when you schedule meetings with the buyers of the stores. Your idea can walk you in the door, but you have to sale the idea!! Hope this helps! Good luck!!!!!
    Rozeta Rox, CEO
    www.them-girls.com</A>