WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

PLEASE review my website

dnfgiftsdnfgifts subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in Website Critique
I am just starting an online business and would love someone to critique it so I know what I need to work on.
 My website is dnfgifts.net
 Thank You so VERY much

Comments

• Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    It`s tired and I`m late, so I`ll be brief...
    Interesting and unique products - do you make them yourself?  You have an awful lot of empty space on the product pages, try two columns.  Your home page is BORING!  There`s absolutely NO reason for a viewer to click into your site.  No photos?  No "call to action" anywhere?  The search "feature" on the home page (heck, everywhere) is useless.  I as a buyer would have NO idea what your SKU numbers are nor your price range, let alone the product description to search for.
    Your "about us" page tells me exactly nothing of value.  Why should someone buy from you?  How long have you been in business?  How long have you been a collector?  What is your expertise in fairies?
    Your "Terms" page - wow!  There`s more words there than in the rest of your site combined.  Did you pay a lawyer to write that and was he/she paid by the word?  Seriously, is it all really necessary?  When I see a 1500-word "Terms" page, I won`t read it all, and because it may contain fine print that I won`t like, it`s easier to click off to another site.
    "Shipping" page.  Again, tells me nothing, except that you do ship your product, eventually.  If the product is in stock, why should it take three days to box it and put a mail label on it?  How do you ship?  UPS, US Snail?, do I get a choice?  How much does it cost?
    Sales Tax??  I haven`t even told you what country or state/province that I am in, how did you determine that you are reuired to collect my state`s sales tax, and how much?
    Sorry to be so blunt, but the more I look at the site, the less I like it.
  • Options
    dnfgiftsdnfgifts subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank you for the helpful insight. I have updated the site, any chance you would be willing to re-review it for me? Keep in mind I have never built a site before. And I apreciate the honesty. Without criticism, I know my site will fail
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Unfortunately, storesonline (what you use to "power" your website) is not the best and there are many complaints about the company.

Aside from Storesonline`s sales pitch (I`ve been to a couple of their "seminars" for curiosity sake), their product/software is proprietary - so you can not move your store to another web host.

Your site`s product page is very slow to load and of course Store`sonline`s program limits what you can do in terms of design and functionality of your website.

~Roland
    vwebworld10/23/2008 3:15 PM
  • Options
    FausFaus subscriber Posts: 2
    Maybe you should try something like Yahoo Merchant Solutions. You can pay a monthly subscription and it includes web hosting, web templates, and the ability to process multiple payment platforms. You won`t have to do too much maintenance on your site, just selling your product. The code that you have learned to build your site, use to manipulate the code in the template.
    People who find your site through Yahoo`s product search page may actually be looking for what you are selling or at least close enough for them to be interested. When they do find you or you market your site, your buyers can have some confidence in your service when they see the little Yahoo commerce button on the sidebar.
    -Faus