WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Copy Written or Confidentially Agreement?

AweleAwele subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
I have an idea for a Reality TV Program.  This is not my line of business at all.  I have no connections to the entertainment industry but I do know some powerful business people who can get me to them.   My question is should I get the reality TV program copy written or just present the concept to the networks with a confidentially agreement? 

Comments

• Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Awele,A copyright will not protect the idea, only the written copy of the work itself (although you should copyright your pilot or treatment anyway).  When pitching an idea, you should first boil it down to a one liner (a "log line") that describes the concept.  Late summer and early fall are usually the best times to pitch, as well.Regarding a confidentiality agreement, you may find that it`s very hard to find any execs willing to sign one from a newcomer.  If you get that far, be happy you`ve done so, and keep a log of everyone you`ve talked to and shown the treatment/pilot to.  Lastly, you probably won`t even get a meeting without an agent or entertainment attorney accompanying you.  That`s just the way the business works.  I`ve had numerous folks come to me after trying to pitch a network and been told "great idea, now come back with an agent or attorney so we can talk." 
  • Options
    Pepperlegal,
    Thank you so much for your input I will keep that in mind.  I have already started interviewing agents and attorneys for this project.  So, hopefully I can get this going. Thanks again.Awele2007-3-15 15:29:20
  • Options
    Camp Steve,
    Yes, I do believe you must know someone to get in the door.  Thankfully, I do know a few people that can get me in the door.  They actually work within the networks.  Wish me luck. Thanks for your input. Awele2007-3-15 15:29:8