WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Pre-opening funding vs. working capital

pectopahpectopah subscriber Posts: 2
edited November 2007 in Startup Funding
Hi all! I`m currently working towards opening a high-end cafe/coffeeshop and I have a question about funding sources. 

As I understand it, in order to qualify for an SBA loan, I`d need to inject 10 - 20% (or more) of the total startup amount myself.  So, if I need 200k, I`d need to put up 20 - 40k myself, and get a loan for the rest. 

My question is, how does working capital figure in?  If I need 200k to open the doors of my cafe, and I want another 150k in working capital, do I have to lump this all into one big loan, or can working capital be separate somehow, since ideally, most of it will sit in an account and not be spent? 

I believe I could qualify for a loan for the amount needed to get the doors open, however, I don`t want to fall into the common trap of being under-capitalized.  If I have to add the large amount of working capital to the loan and put op 20% of that larger amount, I could be in trouble. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Options
    pectopahpectopah subscriber Posts: 2
    That number is based entirely on having 6 months in reserve.  I`ve read so much about startups, and especially food service startups being under-capitalized that I`d rather err on the side of too much than too little.  However, if it looks like that number might stop me from moving forward, I`ll need to look at something smaller.  Thoughts?
    Thank you so much for your advice regarding the 7(a) Express program.  This is exactly what I`ve been trying to learn about.