WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

If it ain`t Broke (should I fix it)?

RyanGromfinRyanGromfin subscriber Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Grab Bag
I am developing a restaurant concept in the Los Angeles area and I am stuck on a few key points.  Mostly, I am adapting a concept from a less (Urban) part of the country where it is very successful.  There of multiple units within multiple different brands for this particularly style of restaurant.  It is different that almost anything found in Los Angeles, at least in the more developed parts.  I have over the past months slowly added and changed the concept to make it more LA friendly, the problem is, it is no longer the original concept.  I know I am I am not giving a ton of details, but I am less concerned about specifics and more concerned about peoples opinions of sticking to what works and keeping it simple even if it has never been tested in that demographic, or adapting to make it more generic and easier, but with less of an impact.RyanGromfin6/23/2008 5:49 PM

Comments

• besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Congratulations on your business/concept! I myself love to try something different to add to my business - not wanting to blend in - especially realizing that there are often times when people are looking for something different - it really is attractive. Introducing your restaurant may be a bit of a challenge depending on what you have to offer. However, if it`s something that may stand out favorably then it may be just the thing to really be a hit. I can`t tell you how many times we have passed up on restaurants because we wanted to have something different - something new. Whatever you decide - best of luck and may your business bring you great success!
  • Saber102Saber102 subscriber Posts: 2
    Just typing out loud Ryan, but if it were me, I would also want people`s opinions, but from potential customers. Is there a way to do some type of short survey ?  Sidewalk survey, friends, neighbors, employees at local businesses ?  Can you walk to the restarants that would be near yours and find the very popular ones ? The busy and slow ones ? Look at the menu`s ? Are there some type of `food statistics` you can uncover to see what people eat ?

Just some thought.
  • jccameronjccameron subscriber Posts: 3
    In the end, you need to stand out in some way.  Amazing food, funky design, specialty food, unique atmosphere, amazing service, something.  If you become too much like everyone else, you risk becoming commoditized and then it becomes an uphill battle.  Find a way to be special and you`ll know much sooner whether or not this will work in the long run.  That`s my layman`s view.