WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best and Cheap web hosting site?

NealivNealiv subscriber Posts: 2
I am new to startupnation and this is my first post.  I have a computer consulting business I just started and I do not have a website up yet.  What are the best hosting sites and the cheapest?  I only have a few customers and I am still in the infant stages.
Thanks!

Comments

• InboxDesignInboxDesign subscriber Posts: 1
  • NealivNealiv subscriber Posts: 2
    Did you design this yourself?  Very nice site.
  • mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    I use godaddy.com. I have been thrilled and they have 24/7 customer service.
    User interface on their site very easy to navigate. It was very easy to upload my site.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    In my opinion there are several great hosting companies out there. As you can see, some have been listed. I think you need to identify more clearly, your requirements. Is this an ecommerce site, or more like a static, online brochure. This will make a BIG difference in price and required expertise. In my experience, static sites can be set up and maintained for less than $100 a month. Ecommerce sites (secure transactions and all that) can range from $50-1000 a month depending on complexity. I am sure there are more professionals of this nature in the SUN community. If you post more details, I am sure they will chime in.
    Well my site will basically list all of my companies services, give out contact information, list community tech news and just plain give me more exposure and advertisement.  I will not be doing any sales online, just promoting my business and skills.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Nealiv,I think you will find your way through this pretty quickly. Design fees are going to range; depending on specific design features and amount of content. Your hosting shouldn`t cost more than $25 a month. And you might be able to beat that deal. Check other designers previous projects and do your best to weed out the pretenders. If you want to spend a little time learning, a web presence as you are talking is easy to achieve. Just get a reputable "what you see is what you get" type HTML editor. Your virtual host will explain how to upload the files.If you don`t have time, there are plenty of people here to offer thier hand. If you find no freebee guys out there to design it, I could give you a quote after knowing more about the project details. But really, my web design days are not current enough to add certain bells and whistles. You can contact me privately about that...Anyone need portfolio work?
  • jmbarryjmbarry subscriber Posts: 0
    I use Westhost.com.  They are very inexpensive. Over time when they would begin offering new customers additional features to their packages, they have given the same features to the existing customers at no additional charge (disk, Miva Merchant, bandwidth, applications etc) - an honest business.  They have a real human being answering a telephone or chat in addition to email support, and they know their stuff.  They offer more features than I use for the price.  $3.95 a month for basic website, $6.95 for business/e-commerce, and prices/features up from there.  
    Although I`m a Westhost evangelist (based on great service) I`m glad to see so much positive feedback about the other hosting companies!  
  • DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    Gatorhost, Bluehost , and RevolutionHosting are all good services although I haven`t used them.  Once you grow to a midsize business, however, the best option is to upgrade to a professional business-class host such as Rackspace or Akamai or simply buy the hardware and people to host yourself.Note: I strongly advise against using 1&1.  Anyone who`s seen their flashy advertising should see a big red flag that they`re overcompensating for something.  The setup is too basic and too rigid for the level of customisation required for a business from their tech support to the database control.
    From another networking site maybe.
  • misterwicks2006misterwicks2006 subscriber Posts: 11
    You asked for Best and Cheapest ... however, I don`t know whether I understand .... maybe all the advertising on the net gives people the impression that they can have their cake and eat-it too! An important thing to remember is that you can swing into another vendor if  your find that the current agreement doesn`t work. If you are building a site that requires more than the basics, you might want to take sometime to evaluate all vendors from the start. Could be a little tough swinging your Homepage over to another service down the road.
    Thanks I think I will try ASO.
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    I just want everyone to know that I use hostgator.com and they are the worst I`ve ever had.
    I am right now looking for a new host.
  • calvinjrcalvinjr subscriber Posts: 3
    So what is so bad about Hostgator????C.     
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    Well, where do I start? A long list of problems I`ve been having with them since they got big. I was with them since they were small and efficient.
    I`m short on time right now, so I`ll just give you one example. They were having a problem with one of my domains. (I have many domains hosted with them.) They shut down all when they could have shut down just the one they were having problems with.
  • gethxngethxn subscriber Posts: 0
    hi i hosted my site here tucktail
    here they provide free hosting service for each paid domain that we buy from them they also render paid hosting service which provides us many offers like free setup,software,storage and bandwidth they also render many services like domain registration,domain transfer etc .i think you are beginner in hosting this site helps you a lot and provide you a best and reliable service.