WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

When it comes to web dev: What do you pay for?

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited March 2007 in Selecting a Business
Part of my buiness model is a web development service called Nothing Like it Media. The aim is to provide cost effective marketing via the web for businesses. When  I first started I thought I could stop at simple front end web design, but when I introduced myself on another forum back in 2005 some of the forum posters indicated "People just don`t pay for simple websites anymore," And "There are kits that offer people what you`re doing"
So after taking my lumps there I`ve been trying to figure out what to offer or what people will pay for in the realm of small business web design and development. There are so many options: businesses can design it themselves, They can buy a website builder package, or they can get thier cousin to do it for cheap. So my main question is.
When would you all call the professionals to handle your web design (frontend) or web development (shopping carts) needs?

Comments

• MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    For me, I will need it all done.  I don`t know anything about webpage design and don`t care to learn.  I`d be looking for the whole package....and more.  A one-stop shop for all my on-line needs. 
  • txbassguytxbassguy subscriber Posts: 0
    if the job was so big that i couldn`t do it myself, but i`m a computer geek. yes you can get website templates and software to do it for you, but in the end like craig said it`s the content that matters. it`s usually the content part that is the most challenging. anyone can make a website pretty.
  • MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    While content does matter, I tend to be more interested in graphics and colors.  The pics have to be top notch.  I`m easily sold with a good picture that speaks to me.  When I go grocery shopping I tend to buy things that are eye catching.  I don`t read for fat or carbs or organic or free range this and that.  If it looks good I grab it.  For instance, who would buy Hunts spaghetti sauce when a bottle of Mezzetta is so much better looking? 
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    nothing,As a developer, I usually offer a full package. Domain Name registration, web hosting, and a fully functioning web site. as far as the web site specs. Doesn`t matter whether it`s a simple web site or an application, I charge accordingly. I have a basic package that I charge and then depending on the add-ons that the customer wants is what the final cost is. Makes things much easier than quoting the whole project. Example: basic web site I would start at 600.00 for 5 pages, then if they want forms, flash headers, flash banners, and additional pages then I would charge individually. Most customers pay up to 1500 to 2000 for the whole web site. Before I had a different approach, I would ask the customer for what they needed, and then just quote them for the whole project. What I noticed was that sometimes they would wait till they got quoted and then they would start with: I want this, this, this, and this. Sometimes, I would have to take the loss. Now, Everytime they say I want this or this, I simply check the box that has the price and description of work. I call it my web customization specs sheet. It keeps things simpler and at the same time let`s my customer know what those are extra features and that there is a price associated with it. Example: Login and DB programming: $700.00 extra, Forms: $35.99 + $15.00 each addtional form, Flash Intros: $175.00 for full flash intro, Flash headers: 125.00 and so forth.So even though they started at $600.00 base price, the project can grow both in price and page wise.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Amen to Nikole, "yes you can use a template but its not very good branding"Templates are an easy way to advertise your business on the internet, Templates are more of a "HEY IM OPEN FOR BUSINESS" sorda thing. What you have to keep in mind is; your web site`s going to grow with your company. The more people visit your web site, the more content you`re going to have to add. It`s the content and the usefullness of your content (website) that keeps your customers coming back. Which mean you`re going to have to keep up with the demand, keeping up with the demand means having a web site that takes seconds to update. Not hours... with a template that`s what you are going to run  into. Hours and hours of development time. Why? most templates are made to handle the basic content and what your company is about. The minute you start messing around with the tables, and stuff like that they collapse. Meaning, what should have been a 10 minute content update turns to hours trying to figure out what tables to touch and which tables you can`t even touch. So having a web site designed specifically for your company is the way to go. You might pay more in the begining to have it developed, but in the long run you are saving money. So being able to offer your customers good development from the begining is your key to "surviving in this business"... 
  • nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
    I like what you guys are saying, but I`ve been reading lots of stuff about how to create a position for yourself in your market. I`ve found a niche with my game development position. I`m having trouble pinpointing one with web design/development. I`m hearing two schools of thought: 1) Be different: Find you niche and your position and it will be easier to compete2) Be a one stop shop because that`s what the customers want.The latter seems to work well outside the web/tech services field.But I kind of agree with option 2. I mean if I`m Joe Business Owner and know nothing of the web I don`t want to hire a graphic designer, a web designer and a web programmer from 3 different places. That said. How do you cut through the chaff? In other words how do you communicate how different you are than the web designer down the street. Especially to a small business owner who may not care when he opens the phone book to "designers"?I did notice something similar to what Craig was saying when i was working with my first few customers. They knew they wanted their websites to do something. They just didn`t know what or how. So it fell on my shoulders to do it. I`m not sure how to qualify this as a business strategic position though. It`s true what you folks said about the templates. They`re really sophisticated but they seem to be missing a certain personality. I came up with a good dig against the use of templates for a website. "You wouldn`t wanna be caught wearing the same dress at a party? So why risk someone having the same site as you" Not sure how good that is yet. Probably wouldn`t work for male users so much.
    nothinglikeit2007-3-2 0:53:5
  • sydni212sydni212 subscriber Posts: 0
     I like templates and find them useful. It is easy to personalize, so the prospect of someone having the exact same site is eliminated. I figure one doesn`t have to reinvent the wheel.  There is only a certain amount of web layouts, so even a website that is designed from scratch will look similar to another somewhere on the world wide webSydni