WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Pet Related Business?

SharonSharon subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2006 in Selecting a Business
Hi all,
This is my first post, and this looks like a good place to post it! My name is Sharon, and I currently have a petsitting business. I`ve been at it for about 2.5 years. It`s going well, though I have had a part-time job to supplement my income, which is going away in mid-January. I really enjoy petsitting, but my income is limited to how many dogs I can walk in a day! In addition to that, I sometimes help out at a doggie day care center when they are shorthanded.
I would like to get into an online business of selling specialized pet supplies, the kinds of things you can`t find in Petsmart. Eventually I would like to turn that business into an actual store, while keeping it online. I have that idea because I recently found out that a new ski resort is being built very close to where I would like to live. My idea is to open a doggie day care at the resort. When people come to ski, they can bring their dogs and drop them off for the day. Figure they`d usually come for a week at a time. I could also offer pickup and dropoff service and boarding for those not in pet-friendly accommodations.  So the supply store and the day care facility would operate out of the same building.
Sound like a feasible idea? The day care would be a year or two down the road as the resort isn`t built yet, but I`d like to start earning a little income from the pet supply sales ASAP -- of course the petsitting business continues on. Where to start? Thanks much!

Comments

• tycaltycal subscriber Posts: 2
    To me it sound like you are on the right track by  asking questions in this business fourm, ask the same questions in orther business forums on line and social networks. Online acutions and blogs are a great way to find information and the products you need .
    Best of luck to you
  • MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I don`t think people would bring their pets if they are not staying at a pet-friendly resort.  Much easier to board them at home.  I would research how many, if any, of the resorts are in fact pet friendly, that is your market.  Without that I think business would be unsustainable.  Try partner with resorts, offer the resort better marketing material.  Maybe take the dogs off-site to play all day.  That would be a competitive advantage for the resort.     
  • conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
    I have been noticing that there are more pet friendly hotels but what does the dog do when you are out somewhere where dogs are not welcome? Like restaurants, mall shopping, at the beach?  I would rather board my dog at a hotel with a pet service on the premises so I could see my dog several times a day. I would assume your rates would be higher if you were spending quality time with them and not just walking 3 times a day. I think its a service that would do well especially in higher priced hotels. The service would appeal to all dog owners but like everything else you have to afford it hence the higher priced hotels. I think pet accessories would fit in nicely as a side line since I am sure all pet owners would love to buy a souvenier for their much loved doggie to take home for them. Who wouldnt? I have surfed online for my niece who has a grooming business and was checking out dog accessories. They have a lot of nice ones. I would check Ebay too and other auctions as well to get an idea of whats selling and the pricing. I would look for something unique as a marketing edge. I probably would make out a simple survey and ask dog owners plus the ones that you know what they would likely buy for their dogs and how much they would spend on it.  Use that as a guide. I think this business will be successful for you. Good luck! 
  • SharonSharon subscriber Posts: 1
    I have been noticing that there are more pet friendly hotels but what does the dog do when you are out somewhere where dogs are not welcome? Like restaurants, mall shopping, at the beach?  I would rather board my dog at a hotel with a pet service on the premises so I could see my dog several times a day. I would assume your rates would be higher if you were spending quality time with them and not just walking 3 times a day. I think its a service that would do well especially in higher priced hotels. The service would appeal to all dog owners but like everything else you have to afford it hence the higher priced hotels. I think pet accessories would fit in nicely as a side line since I am sure all pet owners would love to buy a souvenier for their much loved doggie to take home for them. Who wouldnt? I have surfed online for my niece who has a grooming business and was checking out dog accessories. They have a lot of nice ones. I would check Ebay too and other auctions as well to get an idea of whats selling and the pricing. I would look for something unique as a marketing edge. I probably would make out a simple survey and ask dog owners plus the ones that you know what they would likely buy for their dogs and how much they would spend on it.  Use that as a guide. I think this business will be successful for you. Good luck! 
    ConciergeLady, thanks for your comments. As for what the dog is doing while the owner is out recreating, the dog is at the doggie day care! That`s kind of the point, to keep the dog happy and occupied and out of trouble while the owner is doing whatever they came to the resort to do. I am hoping that I will be able to locate the day care on the actual premises of the resort.
    My sideline of retail sales would be items that are related to the theme of the resort. That would be the "boutique" side of it. I am actually not too much into cutesy accessories as I have big dogs, but they are very appealing to a lot of owners. I train in conformation, field (hunting) and agility and it is very difficult to find items related to those activities in your average pet supply store, such as Petsmart. So I would be selling those type of items, as well as your generic collars, leashes, beds, etc. I will also be selling high-end, holistic and natural dog foods.  Your comments are well worth looking into -- thanks!
  • conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
     As for what the dog is doing while the owner is out recreating, the dog is at the doggie day care! That`s kind of the point, to keep the dog happy and occupied and out of trouble while the owner is doing whatever they came to the resort to do. I am hoping that I will be able to locate the day care on the actual premises of the resort.
    Oops sorry I didnt realize that pet friendly hotels have "doggie day care".  I just thought you were allowed to keep them in your room when you were out..and I thought "that isnt good".  I guess its obvious that I dont own a dog. ....I was thinking of my friend who travels all over with her dog. That is what she does. I remember her always telling me that she always had to call in advance to find a hotel that she would be able to take her dog to.  I think your idea is much better and is definitely needed!