WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Business Name

BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
edited December 2006 in Selecting a Business
I am wanting to use my two children`s first names as a business name.  It has a nice ring to it when the two are put together.  However, the names when put together are the name of a famous NFL pro football player.  The player has the pure name .com website.  Is there any legal issues to using the name?  If so, could I simply put the word "Agency" as part of the business name?  (the .com of name+"agency" is available).Thanks,BigTop"It`s always a circus!"

Comments

• Options
    BigTopBigTop subscriber Posts: 4
    ElidS,Thanks for the comments.That`s a good point.  However, the football player in question is not anywhere near the fame of Peyton Manning (even if I would be crass enough to name my second child "Manning"), Travis Henry, or even Aaron Glenn.  There is power in a name.  Let`s say you are looking to buy a new Ford in Colorado.  Are you going to go to Mike Naughton Ford, or would you be more inclined to dial up John Elway Ford?  I think I would visit John Elway Ford, because i`ve heard of John Elway. Thanks!Let`s assume that you get past all the legal issues and are able to start using hisnameagency.com , what impression do you think potential clients will have of that company and the people behind the operation if all they know is what they see when they see the name? Would you be inclined to learn more about an agency I just set up called DonaldTrumpagency.com?
  • Options
    MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I`ve never liked the idea of celebrity endorsements for products not related to celebs fame.  I guess I feel as if the company is arogant to think the consumer is a lemming and will buy something just because some celeb tells them too.  Jordan should sell shoes, not hot dogs.  Leave that to somebody like Kobayashi.  MNGrillGuy2006-12-1 15:17:24