WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How bad is my navigation?

minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
edited July 2009 in Website Critique
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you would please take a quick look at my website www.GivernyOnline.com and tell if how critical you think that it is that we change our navigation for our shopping pages.  I got a quote from my web developer to change the navigation but it was more than I want to invest in it right now.  On the other hand, if the site is really hard to navigate and I`m losing potential sales because of it then I should deal with it now. 

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards,
Tracy

Comments

• minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    The designers didn`t propose anything.  I asked them because I think the site is very hard to browse for shoppers.  We have no navigation down the left hand side or top for our shopping categories.  I am also limited to only 10 categories for our products which makes it really difficult to break everthing down.  I worry that people can not move around the site and see all of our products without already knowing exactly what they are looking for. 

I agree that some design elements need to change.  In fact, have a long list.  My biggest worry now is that shoppers can not easily shop, especially if they are new to the site.  None of our customers have complained.  I was comparing it to my other site which has left side buttons and realized how hard I think it is.

Tracy
  • betsybeebetsybee subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi, after reading all comments, i went to your site and did some "pretend" shopping...i had absolutely no problem with the navigation, and no problem with my cart..i actually added some items, removed others, etc. and again - no problem (cool products by the way...if i wasn`t strapped for cash i would be doing some "real" shopping!! soon....) anyway, good luck!
  • minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    Thank you everyone for your comments.  You`ve made me feel so much better. 
    Jarrod1937 - You are right about the shopping cart.  It is very easy for me to use and manage but somewhat limiting.  The 10 categories isn`t the shopping cart though, it is because of the way the home page is designed.  To be able to have more categories I`d have to change to a navigation that would allow a list of categories down the side or something.

Thank you everyone!

Tracy
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Definitely add a mouseover (hover) feature to your tabs.
    But I agree... your shipping pages are hard to navigate.... well, hard to find things.
    The viewer must scroll down the page to view each product.

Typical and user friendly eCommerce web pages have a menu of product categories, even sub-categories. This not only helps the viewer find products but also help in your SEO efforts (assuming you use targeted key words for your category names).

I see you have categories at the bottom of the page... but viewers will not think to look there (first) for a category.

So, you may lose customers because they can not find what they are looking for...

~Roland
    vwebworld7/25/2009 6:22 PM